[A letter slipped under the door of the Temple of Izdu addressed to M.Saenus]

Started by Whyleth, March 10, 2024, 04:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whyleth

Greetings,

I am Student Niranye Auvreathil of the Balladeers. I wished to enquire about the painting that you have displayed outside of the Temple of Izdu. I am currently writing a history of art movements in artists of Ephia's Well and was wondering if you had any other pieces of work and if we could discuss more about those pieces themselves, inspiration and meaning.

I would love to hear from you and add you to the list of known artists if you are interested.

Regards,
Niranye Auvreathil of Y'fahliel

WriterX

Niranye Auvreathil of Y'fahliel,

My apologies that it took me so long to respond to your letter, much was upon my head and only now could I sit down and address it. Sadly, the painting you saw is the only one I completed while I was in the Well.

As you could tell perhaps I went with some "Symbolic Realism", though do forgive, I do not know all that much about art as some may prove to show. I prefer it when a painting reflects all of its actors, elements, in truthful proportions, and where the positioning of objects or actions of the actors or characters may reveal deeper meaning to the piece.

Such as in the case of the Heron, the Eagle and the Snake, where I tried to depict the joint efforts of the Well and Sultanate in fighting off the influence of the Wyrm, represented as a twin-headed snake, while in the background, gathered around the Oasis we have people, resting, drinking, living. It simply speaks of a conflict that is present but of which some may simply not be aware of, or not feel it, or perhaps not pay much attention to it.

Perhaps once I have the time, and the means I shall work on more such pieces, but for now work has consumed me greatly, and it is my sole focus, especially with the ongoing election.

I do not consider myself a prolific enough artist to be included on any such list, but if you decide to mention me still I would appreciate the gesture.

Walk with Izdu's wisdom,

Marcellus Saenus

Whyleth

Marcellus,

It is a pleasure to meet you officially and share a pilgrimage together to a place I now hold very dear to me. I hope you, as well as I, see what awaits us, we just need faith of it.
I did not get the chance to speak to you when we returned to the Well, but I will write this to you anyway, as I believe it is important.

Just because art is realistic does not make it any more invaluable. Sometimes to see the world clearly it is best to hold a mirror upon it, and reflect its ideals back onto those who view it. As in your painting, some may turn their back to conflict however others may acknowledge it.

I have no doubts the election is a busy time for you, and would come busier once you are elected into power, but I do encourage you to keep painting. Please keep making works of art that reflect life like a mirror back onto those who view it.

I look forward to the countless other works you shall make in your lifetime.

Regards,
Niranye Auvreathil