Multiclass penalty

Started by Walrus Warwagon, March 28, 2024, 07:42:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walrus Warwagon

What purpose does it serve? How it makes things better? It was used to discourage multiclasses, but in a style of outdated mechanics like "hurr durr dwarfs should be fighters".
We now can go for crazy 4 class multiclasses, but with how good some of the pure classes are, is there any reason to have MC penalty?
Maybe it's time for this penalty to go?

Whyleth

I agree. Most I know play humans who multiclass, so it probably isn't apparent to a lot of people. Multiclass penalty is "alright" if you are only doing 2 classses that are uneven, but not an issue at all if you keep them level.

I wouldn't even mind if the Multiclass penalty was reduced to 10% from 20%, for two classes to 20% from 40% for three classes. Multiclass penalty is a choice, by all means; however as Walrus said, I think Humans already get enough of a boost from getting an extra feat at level 1.

CoffeeBean

I agree, there is already a decent penalty for multi-classing in the form losing class perks and spells.

I think ranger is really the only class that encourages multiclassing with the FE's always remaining- so long as the pc has 6 ranger levels

IKeepForgettingMyUserName

I do think it's a pain and hope it's removed