A Compromise

Started by dragonfire9000, September 10, 2008, 07:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonfire9000

I've just had a sort of idea.... I've been hearing a very great deal about how people feel gipped. They made these amazing characters that were apparently building up to something amazing, and then the big bad DMs came in and spoilt their fun. Sorry, that sounds mocking, but I enjoy writing that way. ;) Anyways, I have a proposition.

Make an alternate beginning in the Underdark. Perhaps even in Chabzash, Traensyr or that one place with the Mind Flayers... can never remember that one. Anyways, make this way to escape, kind of like a permanent, non-DM prelude. You roll up your character and get to actually play out this incredibly difficult escape from slavery and then there is a somewhat nerfed (from the current "You can make it out easy as pie... with a ninth-level wizard as a bodyguard...") so that people can still feel that I-escaped-and-now-I'm-on-an-island thrill!

I know, now that I've written it it just seems like I want EfU back... I don't... mostly... but I'd still love to see an alternate beginning in the 'Dark.

Something to consider.

Berosion

Snoteye

Are you suggesting that, instead of making a very difficult escape quest available to every Underdark PC, we go to great lengths to make players start in ridiculously hostile areas so they can escape (like hell) and enter a toned down Way? Snarkiness aside, exactly how would this benefit anybody?

Berosion

Well, for one thing, there might actually be some underdark PCs to undertake that escape quest. Which, really, there isn't much of any more - and even if there is, something tells me they are far too weak to have any chance of success. It would just be nice to experience that "ending" to the Underdark story, y'know?

dragonfire9000

I know this sounds completely unbalanced and altogether moronic, I just can't get the right words... brainstorming here, be quiet! Stupid voices...

Okay. The most basic problem  here is that everybody feels ripped off, like they never got to really escape. Excepting of course for those who actually did... anyways. The idea is to make a starting area, kind of like that cave you used to go through with Nurtle the Grey? Only incredibly dangerous! It would be like a giant puzzle, some horribly dangerously difficult thing you had to defeat before you could rise to the surface of EfU:A and the sunshine, freedom, and nightrisers that await you! The only problem I see, besides this being a grand amount of work for you guys (But really, what isn't?) is making it replayable. Like, once you figure out how to escape from Traensyr or whatever, you shouldn't be able to do it the exact same way with your next PC.

This is probably a crappy idea, but I think it would be quite cool if I could figure out all the bugs...

Little help?

OMGbearisdriving

to be honest you could have escape at any time. all you had to do was propose as such to a dm. of course it almost certainly meant the end of your char.

Letsplayforfun

First, i get the feeling that the underdark theme IS NOT OVER. There are people still down there, both PCs and NPCs, and i doubt dms woud throw away the masterpiece they build just because they started getting bored.

Second, we've had up to three years to escape the underdark, and few have made it, but i believe it's more because we enjoyed staying in the underdark as players than escaping and seeing a good PC retire. I'm not saying it's easy to escape, but the ways are probably still out there for stuck pcs to find.

In that view, i'm not in favor of allowing PCs with underdark backgrounds unless they made it IG, at least not for some long time. It would cheapen years of play. Just as was suggested to 'allow existing pcs to get to the surface without trying the way'. Although it's be nice to pop up my lvl 10 wizard out of the blue and be able to explore the new server in a flash, i'd feel pretty low in comparison to those who lost excellent characters in trying the Way.

About the Way: it's really tough, sure. But i'm betting DMs had more in mind than just "we'll weed out low lvl folks and let give a chance only to higher lvl pcs". It's a challenge, right before us. The problem is we got carried away OOCly and rushed to take the Way as if it were just another questing area. I'd add we forgot basic RP as to why try the Way or why stay.

Lots more to say, but i'm too lazy.

Letsplayforfun

Quote from: Letsplayforfun;86204Second, we've had up to three years to escape the underdark, and few have made it

Before i forget: it might be cool towards the pcs that escaped the underdark for them to have escaped... in EfUA (if that's plausible).

I think that'd be a nice reward for them.

My 2 cents..

Sternhund

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I do not think having PCs escape slavery and escape the underdark in a low level and common quest is desirable. In in-game terms, Sanctuary is a real jewel because almost nobody escapes from slavery to begin with, let alone the Underdark!

I'd rather have all new PCs made up on the surface, and keep the Underdark scary, instead of becoming some playground that a level two can tackle.

Snoteye

I think you missed the point I was trying to make earlier, dragonfire9000. That is the Way.

dragonfire9000

I have a tendency to miss a great many points, actually. I have this strange feeling I'm autistic... ;) I still think my idea is good, but it certainly needs a lot retooling... meh, I'll think about it later when I've actually been able to sleep more than six hours a night. For now, our current set-up is ridiculous-fun anyways!