Rentable Property in the Public Housing Vault

Started by Arc, April 15, 2014, 09:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arc

[COLOR="SlateGray"](I'm not sure if this is something to pursue IG or OOC, so I'll try making an OOC suggestion first, outlining the benefits, then pursue it IG if OOC is not the right channel.)[/COLOR]

The Public Housing Vault is my favorite area of the server. Its beautifully designed, the tileset is perfect. It feels, to me, like a Soviet Slum. Huge public work acts by a wasteful self-obsessed organization, surrounded by miles of urban squalor. Its grim, underdark through and through, and TOTALLY abandoned. I'm in there once a day- and the only people I ever see in there are those I drag in personally.

I feel that the public housing vault is the perfect location from many organizations- ranging from sly gangs to charitable hospitals to poor families. And I feel its a perfect place a organization could rent a large building for cheaper then core sanctuary.

So, I propose the following building:
[hide="The building, Highlighted and circled on the Map"][/hide]

Be made into a rental property. Bringing life into the public housing vault, without splitting the server's population. It would make many concepts possible, make being a Watcher more interesting (huge area, usually abandoned, hard to patrol, hive of criminal scum), and I feel bring life into an elegant, ignored portion of the server.

Arc

One additional note: The building currently is unoccupied, and is not labled as any flat or housing.

Ryan

Hell, I'd even go one step further and make a full apartment building with rentable rooms for lower income adventurers, or just those who aren't playing the role of adventurers at all. Make a seedy landlord NPC to run it and all that.

Not sure how desirable that is, of course, as it's liable to split the server a bit... but eh, there's already a spawn point in the Beetle and Baby, so I don't see how an apartment building would do any more damage. I know I'd rent a place there in a heart beat.

Arc

Honestly- As long as the sending system is how it is- I dont see how splitting the server is possible, to be honest. People will idle approximately just outside of the sending system.

The Holy Goat

I have also done a bit of thinking about really anything to give someone a reason to go into the public vault. It is an exceptionally cool area.
A couple things I've thought of.
A lowbie quest (Collecting moths for the moth guy)
Back alley gambling (royal dragon, beetle fights)
Low cost rentable rooms
Cheap resting

All thoughts, but it seems to scream for something.

Arc

Both the idea of a lowbie quest and back alley gambling are amazing. I just wanna see that area get some love.

Knight Of Pentacles

This area has a lot of potential.  It definitely needs some reasons for PCs to set up there.  A rentable house or apartment that requires less prestige to acquire than the one in the High Estates.  Also maybe a backway in through the  surrounding caves so that exiles/Lowersmen can exploit its lack of having the shield encompass it.

Arc

I was in no way suggesting an alternate hub, sc, and I'm not clear how you got that out of that post at all.

I am suggesting an unused area have some player faction rentable property as it would fit many concepts.

Ryan

I tend towards the belief that people will be more apt to make use of an area in the way you describe if they have an actual, mechanical reason to visit other than ogle at how pretty it all is. Playing up the whole slum aesthetic (whether as criminal or Black guild activist or what-have-you) feels rather hollow if you're assumed to be squatting in the posh House of Heroes anyway.

Or at the very least it'd give more incentive to play that up to begin with. Maybe that's cynical of me, but I'm a firm believer in leading plots on by waving carrots under people's noses. It doesn't have to be "Sims-EFU" as you so misleadingly dub it, just something that makes the place worth visiting for all the effort that clearly went into its implementation.

I want to see the social injustice angle of Sanctuary brought to life, and giving players a reason to buy into that themselves would be a good start. Unless we're naturally meant to assume all those types pigeon hole themselves into making for Lower, of course, which is clearly untrue.

Spiffy Has

It's an NPC area to give Sanctuary's population of (20,000 people?) somewhere to live. You can assume the building is occupied.

Arc

I am- deeply amazed that the proposal to turn one building into a PC-faction rentable building is this hotbutton of an issue.

PlayaCharacter

It's not a hot button issue. If you read carefully, you'll see that ShadowCharlatan actually agrees with idea 100% because nowhere in his TL;DR post does he make a single objection to the original suggestion.

Ryan

You needn't worry about me getting salty over that, cause it's what EFU's all about, of course. I just think what you're talking about would be easier to spur on if there's people around to motivate it -it's nice when people take the initiative, but not everyone has the wherewithal to build that up without something to inspire them (and I don't mean player housing - I just mean sheer activity, for any reason.)

People hang around the square because there's other people around, because it's in range of stuff people want to do (commerce, questing, easy interplayer interaction) which leads to stuff happening, etc. What you're talking about is ideal, but I'd foresee a lot of nothing happening between the periods when the "go-getters" are around. A slight uptick in stuff to do around there won't lead to anything by itself, but it might get the juices flowing as people simply inhabit the area more often - something I'm not even sure the DMs want for the Housing Vault to begin with, unfortunately (though I can understand why, given Howland's explanation for the area.)

This debate does actually give me some ideas for a Beetle and Baby related concept... that'd be a start on what you're saying, maybe.

Howlando

You guys can continue to discuss this if you want but I'll probably just slowly add stuff to the area as I feel like it. I kind of like terrible tenement housing so I may add such if I feel inspired to build it.