Lighting

Started by Vlaid, June 07, 2014, 12:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vlaid

Just tossing this out there as something I ran across that others may not realize. Add other tips for creating interesting lighting to this thread if it pleases you.

Lighting in the toolset does not accurately reflect what lighting looks like in game. It is very much necessary to periodically test lighting by logging into the module to check it out (for areas that have need of extensive/moody lighting).

I had a particular issue where I couldn't figure out why these identical sections with the same braziers were producing different levels of lighting. Eventually I figured out that tiles themselves, even ones without an actual light source of any kind, can have a kind of ambient glow/lighting effect. Toggling through the different versions for that tile (clicking on that tile repeatedly with the same terrain/option selected) will cycle through the various lighting options, you'll need to turn on lighting effects (turning the module to a very dark interior lighting setting first will help see the tile glow/lighting helps) to see it.

granny

In order to setup all single squares of the map with the same lighting property, you need to select the entire of the map and right lick on Tile Properties. Whatever light properties you put in that time, it will be defined to the entire of the map's single squares.

TheSpooky

The best way to light NWN1, I've found, is to Reset to Black and then start from there. It's really bad about not actually changing everything accurately based on making changes to an existing light pattern.

Vlaid

Quote from: TheSpooky;391690The best way to light NWN1, I've found, is to Reset to Black and then start from there. It's really bad about not actually changing everything accurately based on making changes to an existing light pattern.

This is basically what I've done, but it's for a tomb/crypt area so it makes sense to focus on small amounts of light sources.

Thanks for the tip on the light btw Granny, didn't even know you could select and adjust the properties of light on individual tiles like that.

Vlaid

Ah! Something else I learned. Tiles that have a light source built into them - like a torch, brazier of some kind etc - you can manually turn them on or off if you need to by right clicking the tile and adjusting the "Source light 1" and "Source Light 2" as applicable.