The Abberation equivalent to Pale master PrC

Started by Pentaxius, August 17, 2014, 12:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pentaxius

With abberations having such a key role in the new setting, I think it would be incredibly cool to have the Abberation equivalent to the Pale Master. The cannon fleshwarper PrC would be an example of how this could be achieved.

There are many avenues of how this could be done, be it with a class perk, pre-determined table draws as the blood mage PrC, or even just appropriate vfx's. (toggle purple glow as an "abberant layer of abboleth muckus" for instance)

Paha

I don't especially want to create such.

These are things that should be utterly rare, and very hard to achieve. Unkown, totally new and alien subject. It's something players need to strive for with their own ingenuity and ideas, and make it happen.

Valo56

While a PrC would be bad, I would argue that smaller perks for those pursuing aberrant power might be nice. In EfU:M we had various H'balan perks, something like that but on a smaller scale might help us see more attention brought to the main theme of the chapter, namely the fight against aberrations.

Perhaps minor mutations in interested PC's, or ways of using astronomy to gain some manner of random "curse" in the prelude areas and any time thereafter that you happen to be on the surface, the effects of which not being immediately apparent but taking days or weeks to become fully understood or even manifest.

rolld20

Implants and other aberrant devices being more common in quests.  With suitable consequences for being caught using them.

Grotesque

I dislike the notion of automating anything that involves aberrations for players. Cosmic horror is obviously the overarching theme of EFU, and letting players get freakish mutations/knowledge -- even if picked from a randomized matrix, without a DM's intervention, makes the terror and ambiguity surrounding aberrations feel very stale. Not to mention that implementing an automated system for these alien boons/penalties would feel terribly cheap as not even a randomized matrix can do the radically unpredictable aberrations justice.

Paha

It simply isn't going to happen, I fear.