I was Rictor

Started by Blue41, August 23, 2014, 07:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue41

[hide=Background]Background: Part of a small tribe of Drovers on the edges of the Farsea Swamp, Rictor was a simple man whose mind was never occupied by concerns beyond that of food, water and shelter. The dangers of the swamp were many, but none were ever so threatening as the Dread Empire's arrival. For months, the Drovers went unnoticed as the other monsters- more attractive as thralls and slave labor- were exterminated or captured. When his village was threatened, Rictor stood with his clansmen to fight, and the community of one hundred or so Drovers were near slaughtered to a man. Rictor was forced to flee, but the screams of his family, comrades and kinsmen seemed to sever something in his mind. Long after the screaming in the village had stopped, he continued to hear voices in his head, three in particular: Wayd, his closest friend; his mother, who had died with spear in hand; and shaman Gudrid, one of the tribal leaders.

The Voices:
QuoteThe Woman- Mother. Oppressive feelings of guilt, nagging, weeping. Manifests in place of sorrow/guilt that Rictor should be feeling for self-serving actions. Provokes fits of anger, impulsiveness.

The Confidant- Wayd. Amiable, listens to trials and tribulations without judgment. His suggestions are well-meaning but often out of touch. Chiding, useless conscience.

The Authority- Shaman Gudrid. The survival instinct, whose commands must be followed to the letter for one's own preservation. Rarely spoken with, only obeyed- over the advice of others, if needed.

Rictor's memories of the surface are cloudy after that. The advice of the ever-present voices were all that kept him alive, wandering the blasted lands aimlessly. But more than anything else, Rictor wishes to be free of the voices, and to know peace and quiet inside the confines of his own mind.[/hide]

Rictor was intended to the PC equivalent of sewerfolk madman, but I'm afraid he always came off as a more violent version of Forrest Gump. I intentionally made his personal goals pretty simple- to get rid of the voices in his head, and it was the one he ended up achieving. His other goals are too spoiler-ish to mention. He was too good of a henchman, and the biggest problem I had playing him was taking initiative- he didn't want much, and what he did want, Leopold Eckhardt gave him in spades.

Much thanks and apologies to DM Canzah and Pentaxius- I was looking forward to getting some more work done. Best of luck to the rest of the guys in my group, you know who you are.

Pentaxius

Rictor had some great tragedy going for him - you could feel him oscilliating between a state of resignation and doubt, to a darker form of primeval anger.

I was waiting for the day the beast would turn against its creator, reclaiming his freedom to pound where he wills. Who knows what twist the story could have taken.

Big props blue, eager as always to see your next!

KreShar

Well played mad man. ALways got the feel he was one step away from snapping and going on a murder spree

rolld20

cmenden

Rictor was totally awesome to interact with, blue!

Vlaid

I thought he was even cooler after becoming a mute, I don't think I've seen many well characterized mutes ever. Really cool to see a mute making weird sounds trying to vocalize words.
[url=https://www.efupw.com/forums/index.php?topic=706473.msg747918#msg747918]The Entirely True Legends of Velan Volandis[/url]

Canzah

granny

... b-b-b-but... I had plans!

CPT. Homie

You were Rictor

But also my friend

I will miss him