Allow PCs to change their own descriptions.

Started by Cruzel, March 30, 2009, 11:10:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExileStrife

Quote from: meow-mix;117618It would also be sweet for PC's that frequently go in disguise.  You could change your description to match your discreet appearance.

My two cents,
Meow-mix!

This is one of the major shortcomings with this new possibility.  It's only the description, not the name.  People are still going to metagame you.  We have never enforced role playing other people's descriptions since they are player generated, and have unenforced lengths and contents.  With this I don't see that changing, so expecting to use it as a defense in, "but my description says I put on a fake mustache!" isn't going to work.

Relinquish

I will not be checking peoples descriptions every 5 minutes to see if something changed.

Porkolt

Just to get this straight:

SetName -doesn't- work on PCs, right?

Snoteye

SetName does not and will never work on PCs. There are various reasons for this.

We all believed, for God knows what reason (really, I've tried to find out -- I'm positive it has been said not to work on PCs by developers), that it would not work on PCs so we never even bothered trying. There's a very good chance we'll implement this in some capacity, however.

TheMoonlightBecomesYou

artfuldodger99

90% of the time i imagine changes to descriptions would be for purely flavour reasons, which as Kiaring mentioned, would be great..

Maybe if this is implemented a short guide could be devised to give guidance on it and to re-state (if needed) that changing your description does not give you carte blanche to behave as ExileStrife described?

If it was implemented I would certainly use the description option more, even on PC's I have seen around before or people my Character knows IC.

Ommadawn

I really like this idea as well, and not necessarily for disguises. I consider descriptions a vital part of each character, and it can be frustrating when the character changes and evolves and the description no longer "describes" the character. In the words of Cruzel the Right, "Please to be doing!".

Kiaring

Quote from: Relinquish;117629I will not be checking peoples descriptions every 5 minutes to see if something changed.

It's for this reason that I'd contend that this change is mostly for 'flavor' purposes (RP, really - I'm starting to hate that word, flavor, such a BBRP term); for the same reason I'd say that using your description to describe your weapons and armor, is a bit off. You can change those IC at will (within reason/as long as you possess the items!) and that (and emotes) should be the primary way for people to interact with what you're wearing/wielding, not your description (which not everyone will bother checking). For big, RP-heavy, 'flavor' changes, though (like, say your character loses an arm, or inks a war tattoo of his new God, or adopts a new faith and starts wearing their holy symbol) it is totally awesome.
Current PC: Acolyte Itziyal Neniarral

Mort

Problem with this is that your new description will be 4 lines long maximum.

Ommadawn

Quote from: Mort;117657Problem with this is that your new description will be 4 lines long maximum.

Not knowing anything about NWN scripting, would it be possible to enter several "paragraphs" and chain them together to form a longer description?

TheMoonlightBecomesYou

Yeah, You can GetDescription and append new to it.

Mp3

If you look at my sample i gave the option to append is already there

Cruzel

In Addition to the Above post;

Quote from: Snoteye;117589Son of a bitch. Cruzel is right.

Yesssss.  This makes it all worth it.

Kiaring

tbh I always knew the reason you started scripting in the first place was to earn some modicum of acceptance from this community.
Current PC: Acolyte Itziyal Neniarral

Portal Rat