Silence instead of Spellfailure underwater

Started by athousandyearsofpain, May 03, 2009, 04:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Relinquish

NWN =/= real world.

You can not speak underwater.

SkillFocuspwn

Um, I'm pretty sure you can, seeing as you do not have 100% spell failure and this is intentional. It just can't be heard (something that doesn't matter for spells), and often sucks.

I'm pretty sure this is also due to making complex hand movements under water as well, both things beind very difficult and thus leading to spell failure. Even with Still/Silent spell, you would face one of the two problems and have a possibility of failure.

Drakill Tannan

Quote from: scribjellydonut;123965You can talk underwater, but it's very muffled and almost impossible to understand - you have to speak very loud and distinct.  I guess no one here was very curious as a kid and tried this?

Thanks. I was about to give up and admit i was insane.

Quote from: Relinquish;123967NWN =/= real world.

You can not speak underwater.

Actually, if we let aside real-life stuff, you can speak underwater, mechanically nothing stops you from pressing enter and typing anything you want. So, if NWN =/= real life, then there is no reason whatsoever not to speak underwater.

Relinquish

Anyway, I think it's time for a final decision and ruling on speaking underwater, and a lock IMO.

scribjellydonut

I think it's just best left to the player's discretion

Mort

No speaking underwater.

Casting a spell doesn't require you to be HEARD. It requires you to chant and it is something more complex which the spellfailure reflects that.

Speech is entirely different matter requiring the person near you to comprehend you and I wont get into the whole physic of sounds, but you can't hear people underwater when they are like distancing you by a meter or more, you need to be like REAL close to hear anything and it's all muffled up. And that's if they are no noise or anything else around you which in our environment, there should be. (waves, angry troglodytes, whatever..)

So no, you cant talk or give orders to your partners underwater. That's that.