Spell Immunity: Evard's Black Tentacles

Started by BrittanyPanthas, April 30, 2010, 09:38:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Relinquish

The counter is being a halfling.

Groucho the Marxist

It shouldn't be doing big bursts of damage since 1.69.

scrappayeti

@ Nihm (sorry missed your post first time I read up) The damage is just different, so you have to think about it differently. As mentioned above, with dam resist and high str a higher level barb will shrug off most of the damage.

If you are playing a mage and you are worried about the spell, cast bulls and stoneskin and transform into an umberhulk. With the extra size and str, suddenly you will take a heap less damage and that is dropped by 10 again. Yes, the empowered version will still do you damage, but its a freaking level 6 spell! It would suck if it didn't.

Capricious

Quote from: Groucho the Marxist;180244It shouldn't be doing big bursts of damage since 1.69.

EfU:A has Evard's working the old way, not the updated way.

Frankly, Scrappy, to be blunt, it should be hard to kill a nasty, high HP barbarian with only one or two spells. The problem with Evard's is it's great in damned near every situation, and has no obvious counter that people have access to outside huge HPs. That makes it way more useful than near every other spell in the game and, frankly, I think it needs to do the damage properly, like the 1.69 changes had implemented.

Thomas_Not_very_wise

Have Evasion allow it to be dodged, have it do a mixture of elemental (Acid?) and physical damage.

Howlando

It should be working the updated way, if it isn't then someone should fix that.

scrappayeti

That creates its own problems. Each tentacle does 1d6 pls 4 damage, so a single blur potion cuts 2/3 of all damage. A stone skin kills it dead.

It is supposed to attack as a plus 2 weapon, bypassing blur at least, but that is still bugged, and it doesnt.

Nerfing it from a fiddly, but useful spell, to a very weak one, is hardly a fitting solution.

lolmagics

The way it is is just too much and you know it. If you're hasted you can hit someone for well over 100 damage a round with -no chance to save, avoid, counter, or resist- it. In fact, you can do that to four or five people. Then they also must resist the DC ~24 paralysis or it's game over for sure.

Gippy

Empowered tentacles has been changed to just empower the number of tentacles, and not the damage. Additionally a raging barbarian with buffed strength will hardly be touched by this spell. It's really great for crushing WIZARDS and ROGUES but that is about all.

Gippy

same level Barbarian vs Buttercup

Buttercup = 1d20 + 18 versus Barbarian = 1d20 + 27

As you can see in this case the barbarian has quite an advantage. The damage is calculated individually as well, so that every tentacle will do 1-2 less damage. What few tentacles actually hit will not actually do that much damage! It would take a lot more then evards to stop a raging barbarian, in a wizard vs barbarian fight.

BrittanyPanthas

Wow I did not intend to spark a debate about nerfing the spell. Only to state that a potentially useful item property on certain items in game does nothing. I will confirm to Howland that after testing this on EFU I went to a basic module to test if this property works. It does not and the spell as of 1.69 applies the damage of each tentacle seperately.

Relinquish

You simply cannot block evards unless they change it to check spell resistance, defeating much of the spells power.

lolmagics

On a level 11 Wizard it would be
1d20+19
  vs
1d20 + base attack bonus + strength modifier + size modifier.

It's pretty great are crushing everything except a RAGING BARBARIAN or a special form Druid to be honest. Either way, the original post or the ones following aren't targeting Buttercup, just so it's known, but rather the fact that this spell can do well over 100 damage in a round with no counter.

Groucho the Marxist

Immunity to Evards is OP anyway. >.>

BrittanyPanthas

I fail to see why its overpowered when two base races are immune to it at level 1. In order for me to gain immunity to evards assuing the property worked. I have to remove a far superior item and leave myself extremely vulnerable to other spells as a result.