Knock

Started by Nihm, November 03, 2008, 07:45:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nihm

I know its probably been reported to death, but the spell Knock seems to never do anything.  It is supposed to open any non-key lock, yet never once in the numerous times that I've tried it has it worked for me.

Letsplayforfun

*sighs*

I believe the answer is we don't want wizards to be able to do things rogues can once in a quest. Maybe i'm mistaken. Keep to buffs.

Egon the Monkey

I've never got it to work on a chest, but I have successfully used it to crack the locked door in Pestilent Scourge many times.

Professor Death

I too would like to hear about this one.  I've contemplated taking the knock spell and won't waste my time and $$ if it has effectively been nerfed.  The idea that it "disses" rogues is kind of weak since:
A) There's not always a rogue around
B) The rogue may not have a high enough open locks score
C) Knock will always effectively be limited based on the number of times the mage has it memorized - it is definitely a one trick pony whereas a more classic second level slot filled with Bull's will give you much more bang for your buck.

Oroborous

Honestly, I'd hope the spell will unlock any door that a rogue can unlock with Open Locks. If it isn't working that way, it'll make me very sad.

Cruzel

Quote from: Oroborous;95967Honestly, I'd hope the spell will unlock any door that a rogue can unlock with Open Locks. If it isn't working that way, it'll make me very sad.

"This spell will not unlock anything that as marked as plot"

In order to make them unsmashable, they probably mark most doors they want you to pick instead of smash, as plot. So knock will not work!  I have never looked at the script for this spell, so I don't know if this could be effectively nerfed to make it more useful?

JackOfSwords

If it could open any lock that a rogue could, a wizard need only scribe a few scrolls to have on hand, and rogues would no longer be needed.  As I frequently play rogues, this would make me sad.

Cruzel

You still need someone to deal with traps, imo.

Xorisai

I think you could make knock useful without stepping on rogue toes too much with some changes to knock.  You could make it like a Dispel roll, for instance (1d20+level), where the lock opens if you beat the DC (or just 20+level, since rogues usually get to take 20 on their check, and the rogue with good Dex and a few ranks will probably still have a higher bonus than casters).  The point is that if you can alter knock's script, you could probably find some middle ground between "almost totally useless" and "makes the open lock skill superfluous."

lovethesuit

Xorisai, I like that suggestion a lot, and second it.

:D

SpareChange

I agree with Xorisai's suggestion, if it's script-able.

Cruzel

I breifly looked at the spell script.

It's possible to do this scriptwise, with minimal effort.

Snoteye

I remember deciding this wasn't possible. I don't remember why I decided this wasn't possible.

Pup

Quote from: Snoteye;96101I remember deciding this wasn't possible. I don't remember why I decided this wasn't possible.

Heh.  That is possibly the silliest response I've ever seen a DM give.  Kudos to you, Snoteye!
"So what else is on your mind besides 100 proof women, 90 proof whisky, and 14 karat gold?"
"Amigo, you just wrote my epitaph."

"Maybe there's just one revolution.  The good guys against the bad guys.  The question is, who are the good guys?"

~The Professionals

Snoteye

Pretty sure I've done worse!