Forums cutting messages short

Started by Anthee, April 05, 2023, 11:03:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthee

Much of the time, when I try to post something here in the forums, my initial attempt is cut short after publishing so that I have to go and edit my post by adding the text that was cut off. Even then, I have to use the small edit icon (depicting pencil and paper) at the lower right hand corner of the message; if I choose the "Modify" button, the problem persists.

For the most part, I have no idea why this keeps happening. But I did notice one case where it happens consistently: if I try to publish a post that includes the letter "i" with a double dot, as in the alternate spelling of "naive", this problem occurs every time. My message is cut short from "na"; everything after that is deleted. Looks like the platform doesn't recognise certain symbols?

I use the latest version of Firefox on my laptop and Safari on iphone, and the problem occurs with both devices using different internet connections.
Sofia d'Andrea

Woofersnoofer

I had the same problem and it usually happened when my text included copypasta that had the ' apostrophe from another program like Google Docs.

I started writing ' manually on the forums and things have been working fine since. A bit of a bother, granted. 

Bearic

Notepad works okay for a work around, you can always use any word processor then put it in basic notepad. It's something to do with how the punctuation is formatted in word processors otherwise.

Not really a good fix otherwise, unfortunately.

Anthee

Thanks for the tips! Will definitely save me some trouble in the future.
Sofia d'Andrea