Dispelling NPCs

Started by VanillaPudding, December 29, 2010, 03:54:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VanillaPudding

I noticed this a few times on a different Wizard, one that had GSF abjuration no less, and have noticed it again on a newer character once more.

When NPCs use potions (typically DM controlled) and have a wide variety of spell effects on them, they are -very- hard to dispel. These potions are at a typical caster level of 3 and shouldn't be much of a problem for a level 8+ Wizard casting dispel magic to remove a few, or at least one effect.

I believe that the potions may be taking character level into account rather than the spell level listed, yet this only effects NPCs and has never been an issue against other players.

QuoteWhisper of Shargaas - Barkskin, haste, shield, strength, see invis, darkvision (and possible more). Cast two dispel magics and two lesser dispels in one situation, two dispel magics in another and all six times removed a total of one barkskin potion.

Iron Nails NPC from Calculor DM quest - Strength, haste, see invis, barkskin, and others. Two casted dispel magics, a dispel magic scroll, two lesser dispels. They removed a total of one effect, see invisibility.

Spiffy Has

Yea...NPCs seem retardedly difficult to dispel in comparison to PCs.

VanillaPudding

Damien

Earlier an elder hook horror managed to dispel level 10 versions of endurance and strength along with several other buffs.

Also I used a scroll of lesser dispel on a drider and it failed the SR save but it didn't dispel anything despite the fact it had atleast II up.

SanTelmo

I used multiple lesser dispels and it failed the save but didn't lose anything. It of course was a higher level magician AFAIK.
"EFU is a romance server now" -Vlaid

"Some people just gotta be killed" -Gip

Paha

It seems to me that dispelling SR target will only ever lower the SR, not dispel a thing. Atleast so it seems to me.

Damien

nah thats bs paha, i chained dispell and removed a buff just before with my dispel

Disco

Not like you need all your precious Dispels anyway.

Divine Intervention

It's dependant a lot on your dispel, the same quest that has been mentioned I used a dispel magic and took off several buffs including a stoneskin.

Damien

lets stab at each other rather than waiting for a dm response tbh

Gippy

I tested this and you simply must be unlucky. Four level 5 dispels stripped a Stygian NPC of a full suite of spells. From shadow shield to cats grace.

Paha

Did you test it to spell resistance holding targets?

I know fully well I can just be unlucky, but it really seems iffy to try and dispel one with even little SR.

VanillaPudding

Quote from: Gippy;218665I tested this and you simply must be unlucky. Four level 5 dispels stripped a Stygian NPC of a full suite of spells. From shadow shield to cats grace.

I'm uncertain if luck can even factor into a level 9 GSF abjuration Wizard trying to dispel a level 3 potion.

Gippy

It's been tested... feel free to grab me in IRC and we can test out the exact circumstances of your epic fail if you wish.