Knock

Started by Nihm, November 03, 2008, 07:45:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Egon the Monkey

Quote from: JackOfSwords;96018If it could open any lock that a rogue could, a wizard need only scribe a few scrolls to have on hand, and rogues would no longer be needed.  
Pfft. My favourite rogue to have around on a tough quest was Foop, who did way more than open locks. For starters, scouting. When trying to do Jergal Mortuary on low supplied characters, knowing exactly how many spitters and mages were there and where they were was a huge help. Also twice going stealth, looting all the boss chests and evacuating a dead PC.

As a thought though, perhaps it would be possible to instead of the standard 150 foot AoE opening, to give one target a 1round/level +10 skill bonus to the Open Lock skill? that would make it good for mages, but actually BETTER to cast on a rogue! A huge change to effect, but could solve the issue.

Cruzel

I am pretty sure this would be possible, and be very small - like, 6-10 lines of code.  I'll look into it in more detail later, but tbh i see no reason whatsoever (looking at the default knock script) why an easy addition could not be made.

Edit: Egon beat me to the post.  This was in response to Snoteye.

In response to Egon; Easy and possible to add, but up to DM's if they want it.

Snoteye

I'm not saying an easy addition can't be made. I'm saying this isn't possible. It's design related, but I don't remember how and don't have time to check.

Egon the Monkey

As a slight tangent, Knock is nerfed to give lockpickers something to do, buuut....
Using it either takes up a spellslot for buffing/fireballs/etc or requires 100gps worth of scroll. I thought that was the Wizard way. Situational or expensive. And, a Rogue UMDing a Knock Scroll until it works would make a handy backup on high DC locks when you don't have a Wizard or good lockpicks.

Ironically, my own wizard actually has Open Lock ranks, even though his Familiar can cast Knock 1/day, *because* Knock is so pants. With a Grace spell/potion and a set of picks, he stands a chance of opening some of the weaker locks. In fact he got the idea off another player who mentioned he'd done the same.

Cruzel

Quote from: Snoteye;96113I'm not saying an easy addition can't be made. I'm saying this isn't possible. It's design related, but I don't remember how and don't have time to check.

The only design issue I can see at a glance, would be setting the knock DC for each individual door, and the plot flag. The plot flag is easily able to be worked around, and the DC is easy to set on any door which has an open lock DC to begin with. I will look into it later, and I will either see the flaw you mentioned during testing, or it will work and I will once more prove my complete awesomeness, imo.