Wild Shape - Losing buffs

Started by athousandyearsofpain, October 04, 2009, 04:57:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

athousandyearsofpain

When the wild shape "re-applies" like it does every 5 mins or so if you're at full hp, restoring the temporary hitpoints etc.. It removes Magearmor from you, not sure if it removes any other buffs but it did not remove barkskin.

Thomas_Not_very_wise

This has been a bug since forever, nothing they can do I think.

athousandyearsofpain

Well, its not a bug in standard NWN, so why should it be here? =/

ExileStrife

It's a bug on any nwn multiplayer server where the autosave interval is shorter than the polymorph duration.

There are very obnoxious ways to fix it, but we've just never done any of them.

athousandyearsofpain

Well, losing the buffs every 5 minutes pretty much makes wild shape totally useless.

Cruzel

Sometimes being obnoxious can be the best way to go!

athousandyearsofpain

Fuck you and your +1 posts, cruzel.

Cruzel

I was being serious!

Sometimes obnoxious fixes are the only fixes, and this might just be one of those things that never happened because nobody wants to bother to do it.

Staring Death

While I may not know what causes you to lose your other buff, mage armor on EfU:A is a spell that is applied to your armor. Basically, your armor gains the +4 AC bonus property. So if you were to change armor while the spell is active, you'd lose the buff. So, when the polymorph skin is reapplied, I'm guessing a new skin is gained, without the +4 AC.

athousandyearsofpain

It seems the same goes for barkskin. If barkskin is cast before changing shape, there is no ac bonus from barkskin. If barkskin is cast upon you after you shift, it gives an ac bonus but the ac-bonus from barkskin is removed when the shape updates. The only buffs which seems to remain are Stoneskin and the Attribute buffs (str, dex, con.. etc).

This could -really- need a fix.

BoomdaddyBP

You should probably double check the barkskin before = no ac. It has always worked fine for me. Mage armor is understandable and even with that buff being the one to wear off, wildshapes are still very useful. I can't really say much on the barkskin after but will check when I get a chance.

Thomas_Not_very_wise

Wildshapes are now incredibly useful, ask around about how fucken useless the ones before they changed before you whine, :D

But yea, if this can be fixed it'd be appreciated.

FleetingHeart

I know for a fact that barkskin is not a problem, however mage armor acts as a temporary buff applied to your current armor. So, if you cast it before shifting, you lose it (as it is on your armor, not you "skin" object). If you cast it after, it is applied to your "skin", which happens to get removed and reapplied when the server save happens. So, you lose the one with the temporary buff and gain a fresh one.

So, either mage armor would have to be reworked somehow (doubtful), or we would have to implement a script that reads your "skin" for temporary enchantments and their remaining duration before every save, and then reapply it after each save. More overhead, more lag.

This is sad for you if it was cast by a player and actually had a long duration, but at least the potions are fairly short duration, and are probably going to wear off between saves anyway. Just know that it is a problem and carry mage armor potions to drink immediately after the big green FLASH!

Or, don`t. But the fact remains that current wildshapes are amazingly useful, even with only the druids base buffs.

athousandyearsofpain

For those that say that barkskin is not a problem, you don't know anything. I tested this with wern last night, and its bonus is removed.

SkillFocuspwn