The MMOisation of EFU

Started by Ladocicea, December 21, 2014, 03:29:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironside

Implementing a load of convoluted solutions a la the Dawes Plan is not going to fix what is ultimately a player issue.

If you want efu to change get in game and actually play out these suspicions/fears/whatever IC'ly instead of continuing to contribute to a thread that reached its peak relevancy three pages ago.

Knight Of Pentacles

Quote from: Ironside;420898Implementing a load of convoluted solutions a la the Dawes Plan is not going to fix what is ultimately a player issue.

If you want efu to change get in game and actually play out these suspicions/fears/whatever IC'ly instead of continuing to contribute to a thread that reached its peak relevancy three pages ago.

What proof is there it's a player problem?  How does an entire playerbase begin to all at once exhibit a bad behaviour?  Does causality mean nothing?

Unethical

Quote from: Ironside;420898If you want efu to change get in game and actually play out these suspicions/fears/whatever IC'ly instead of continuing to contribute to a thread that reached its peak relevancy three pages ago.

Perhaps folk are. But perhaps such suspicions are not voiced where the spellguard has ears? Who knows?

There is always a "surface" of questing, in any NWN server. The question really is, what is going on beneath it, and how does one get "in" on that.

SatelliteMind

Quote from: Knight Of Pentacles;420901What proof is there it's a player problem?  How does an entire playerbase all at once begin to exhibit a bad behaviour?  Does causality mean nothing?
Agreed, it seems like this has to do with the way the world is set up itself. I'd like to know when did folks start noticing this change and what could have been implemented at the time which could have caused it?

Ironside

Quote from: Knight Of Pentacles;420901What proof is there it's a player problem?  How does an entire playerbase simultaneously begin exhibiting a bad behavior?  Does cause and effect mean nothing?

When you see players running around IC'ly saying things like "lets kill the prince", mobbing into big 8 man masses of various opposed factions and sailing boats around to rake in exp/loot and then sit on their asses until the next bounty goes up so they can flex their freshly level 9 dicks a bit, that is a player problem.

It isn't so much that people have "all at once" begun to exhibit this behavior so much as it is that: a poor example was set, newer players have followed suit, and we have now entered an age of boring middle-of-the-road PCs who just kind of sit around and do nothing while waiting for the story to come to them.

This has all been laid out more politely/eloquently in this thread already.

SatelliteMind

Yet its clear that folks don't believe that is the entire answer. If it is because an example from folks did awhile back what made them feel the need in the first place?

Unethical

The only problem with the quest train is that often, it really is the only way to get any form of interaction whatsoever. Of the PCs I have played prior to Tarya, who was the first to hop on board the "MMOisation", none of them were major questers. The result was little to no interaction or connections. People (not regulars of the quest train) would, literally, completely ignore them. The high point of my last character was me deliberately losing a PvP (opponent emoted nicely, and I had fun, so I figured, why not? :D ) and then returning from vacation to find that my char's victor, and captor, was dead and I was fairly high and dry there due to bad timing.  Both counts were mildly frustrating, and in the latter, since I am rather disinclined to ask about OOC for info, I may as well figure the character got toiled to death in slavery.

On my next character, I found the folk who go hunting a lot far more willing to interact, and thus roleplay, with a few notable exceptions (I really am disinclined to flat out name the positive or the negative here, though). As for the rest, it might be noob syndrome (few folk like to babysit a newbie, I get that! 's no big deal) , it might simply be different RP customs or whatever, but for the moment, I do have to say, the quest train at least provides roleplay for those folk who cannot easily find some elsewhere, for whatever reason. If you kill it, you need to provide some easily accessable alternatives for RP for new players. Because I fully believe that is the main attraction of the quest train.

It is a group activity that folk can easily join in on.

SatelliteMind

Quote from: Unethical;420910the quest train at least provides roleplay for those folk who cannot easily find some elsewhere, for whatever reason. If you kill it, you need to provide some easily accessable alternatives for RP for new players. Because I fully believe that is the main attraction of the quest train.

It is a group activity that folk can easily join in on.
Which is why I think it would help if we added more activities on the server that were group oriented that weren't quest focused.

Unethical

I totally agree. Brainstorming time?

Zango_Unchained

The issue is both mechanical/dm/player, right we have narrowed the issue to be everything. Can we consider some solutions?

More importantly can we see some results of this seven page conversation?

The server seems to be set into certain factions of the following.

Its the DMs fault for being too hard, borderline abusive in some of the things they do.

Its the players fault for being too questy, ignorant of rp, and playing to win

Its the servers fault for being too brutal and hard, leading towards the first two issues.

I'd like to see something come out of this thread, as opposed to us running around in circles.
Can we consider a beneficial result that we can agree on?

SatelliteMind

Quote from: Zango_Unchained;420915The issue is both mechanical/dm/player, right we have narrowed the issue to be everything. Can we consider some solutions?
Music to my ears.

Zango_Unchained

Quote from: Zango_Unchained;420915The issue is both mechanical/dm/player, right we have narrowed the issue to be everything. Can we consider some solutions?

More importantly can we see some results of this seven page conversation?

The server seems to be set into certain factions of the following.

Its the DMs fault for being too hard, borderline abusive in some of the things they do.

Its the players fault for being too questy, ignorant of rp, and playing to win

Its the servers fault for being too brutal and hard, leading towards the first two issues.

I'd like to see something come out of this thread, as opposed to us running around in circles.

Can we consider a beneficial result that we can agree on?

Unethical

I have a few ideas, but first I need to know how and what is koscher in terms of player efforts here. What are the "don'ts" especially. They're different on literally every server.

Halfbrood

I am locking this thread.

It has run its course, and it is beginning to descend to depths it perhaps shouldn't. The DM team will take on board the feedback within, and discuss solutions from our end.

I, however, must echo a lot of what has been said here, in that it is the players (you) that keep the server moving on. The DMs can do what we can, but you as players need to  continue to push your own varying agendas, continue to roleplay to an excellent degree, and continue to be creative in how to interact with the server/each other to really make the server shine.

Any specific suggestions can be PM'd to me and may be considered in the discussions.

Thank you for your honesty, and integrity throughout the discussion here.

The EFU DM Team