The Naturalist's tan maker

Started by Thomas_Not_very_wise, August 09, 2009, 04:40:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas_Not_very_wise

I think it'd be appropriate to have a person who creates leather armor accept Hides in the Exiled camp. So that Hunters of the wild can skin animals ((And bring their bodies)) to the camp in return for some xp and perhaps an item.

FleetingHeart

I'd support this. Except that it then begins to promote something that most naturalists are against. And that is the hunting and killing of animals purely for their pelts with no intent of using the rest of the body.

Certainly hunting for food and using the pelt as well is not a problem. Nor would be skinning the pelt off of a recently dead animal that something else killed. Assuming the pelt is still good. However to pay people for pelts screams poaching.

So, I'd suggest simply that there be a tanner to whom one can turn in pelts for no reward. Or a purely XP reward. Something that the character could not possibly crave, desire, and seek out more of, as it is entirely made up.

In this way, it would promote a more tribal/community feel. Hunters go out, bring back meat. Meanwhile, the hide and bones are given to craftsmen in the tribe so they can create items -for- the tribe.

Drakill Tannan

Or maybe you could sell the meat and bones as well, at a much lesser price, along with the pelts.

FleetingHeart

Except meat and bones don't drop. And I'm not entirely certain having them drop would be a good thing.