Prune the NPCs down a bit

Started by Egon the Monkey, August 10, 2009, 12:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Egon the Monkey

There are a *lot* of Colonist NPCs, and the framerate drop on the most heavily-trafficked area of the server is noticeable. Could the numbers be taken down a bit? We're not all on great PCs, in fact the reason I got NWN in the first place is that it runs well on an old machine. They add a bit of environmental flavour, but not enough IMO to require so many.

LaosLim

Agree.

If it was a deliberate attempt to increase players awareness that there in fact -are- NPC's everywhere and that PvP nearby with them without a DM overseeing the show is a no-no, then cool.

But it does nothing for immersion to have small groups of 'Colonist' on your screen. My $0.02

FleetingHeart

I like them. I would like to see somewhat less of them, but not too much. Maybe just cut back a group or two.

However, one thing that certainly has bugged me are the colonists by the laviathan caravan. Between them and the wagons it's almost impossible to walk through there.

Disco

I suport removing a few of them.

Letsplayforfun

Yep, it's cool to have people around, but a bit less would still be fine, imo.

Drakill Tannan

I'd suggest you deduce them by say a third, but give them patrols, so they are all arround the colony.

FleetingHeart

Patroling NPCs cause MORE lag.

sobe-real

I personally like the additions alot. I haven't noticed much slowdown in these areas.  First of all, i noticed i got huge slowdown from the shadows when in the City because of the vertical and spanning nature of many areas. Once i turned off the shadow effects it removed all my slowdown. Try playing with them if you haven't.

Mort

No worries, i always planned to be cut down on them.

Kotenku

... Oh dear. Everybody gear up, there's another invasion coming.

Semli

I like the random NPC tidbits they offer, but yeah... I am somewhat surprised at the sheer number. Hopefully their dialogues remain somewhat current.

Blake the Boar

I will take this suggestion further, to docks and refugee camp.

PlayaCharacter

Oh crap, I forgot that you could talk to them.

Back in the UD, talking to the random NPCs was a goldmine of plot.