I was a teenage ranger - Alex Harker

Started by Ryan, August 30, 2012, 03:25:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan

Alex Harker, that perpetually snarky archer, has finally died after spending a good few months mostly avoiding doing just that. Seriously, I'm shocked he lasted as long as he did, much less that I was able to attain level 10 with him. Standing in the back and pestering enemies with endless arrows has its benefits!

Alex was conceived as a socially inept, somewhat sheltered woodsman type who'd slowly come out of his shell. I more or less achieved this, albeit with a bit more inclination towards him being a loudmouth than I'd originally intended. I guess that's how I tend to play teenaged types. At his core he was a very decent guy. A little quick to judge, but who isn't?

He ran the gamut of Mistlocke politics, joining the Aberdenn as a spy, initially, and then taking a legitimate liking to the Clan just in time for them to spoil his good feelings towards them by launching their ill-fated coup. His opinion of them would be soured forever after. His disgust with the town, ironically, led him to joining the Wyrm Watchers, forcing him to associate with the Aberdenn once again.

He never did manage to find the sort of warm and fuzzy brotherhood he was always looking for - the Watchers sometimes left him feeling alienated by their conservatism, and his ideological purity towards their mission was always mildly suspect. Alex's loyalties could break at the drop of a hat if a friend of his was on the line, and this would nearly be his undoing at one point in the case of Midah Resher.

Eventually, he died while hunting a great and fierce giant whom could finally empower the Marcail Tree to start fighting back against the Withering.

Some middling character notes:

Practically BFFs with Maeri. Seriously, she's quite possibly the biggest bro and nicest character I've ever encountered.

Alex's last stretch of life was marked by his aversion to rain, owing to his hilariously cursed Bow of Burawambo which threatened him with electrical obliteration at any time. I can't begin to count the amount of times he ran inside after the weather abruptly changed. He probably could have started his own Talos cult if he had the mind to. Thanks to BigOrcMan for helping out with all that, even if we never got to finish it :)

Apparently formed the first gay couple on EfU with Avery Hawkins, which has earned me more than a few funny PMs (none offensive, I'm happy to report!) and in-character reactions. Big shout out to Numos, an excellent roleplayer.

While we're on the subject of shout outs, here's some for Griggs, Adhesive, Poolson, Withering Tree, and HerDarkMajesties! You guys are awesome! :D

I may do a slightly more morally dubious character this time around. Maybe a Caermyn merc...

I didn't take a lot of screenshots with Alex, unfortunately, but here's a few I managed to scrounge up:

Alex's sole piece of (thoroughly dubious) DM loot...

Funniest bit from the Sanitorium Fighting Tournament

Some joking around while on patrol for the Conglomerate

Conversation with Avery

FUCK ISLAND HOWLERS.

Vanity action shot

Final thoughts

Twelve

didn't know him well, but enjoyed the interactions.

Cheers mate

The Old Hack

Oh dear. Ekaterin liked him :(

Great character!

Kotenku

Pool

God speed, you Half-Elf, trick-shot performing, getting struck by lightning mad-man.

Chauntea's your wing-woman.

Marlin Silice

Holy crap, 2d12 massive criticals? that means anyone that got hit by a critical was gonna take like 60 damage considering the mighty bonus and all... i'm glad you never shot that thing at me!

hehe, but the electrical vulnerability was your undoing? I just love when things turn out like that. Every character should have a terrible flaw like that!

Ryan

It would have been massively appropriate if an electricity based enemy killed him, but things didn't work out that way, lol.

Save versus death on a permadeath DM quest is a massive, massive bitch. Nuff said.

I averaged around 45-ish damage on a crit. It often made the difference in pitched fights. It was a very interesting bit of DM loot, for which I have BOM to thank!

Adhesive

Arty and Alex were sneaky hunter bros, always heading out to Prophet's peak to hunt, and later after Arty joined the Stewards and Alex the Watchers, to take care of nature business. Sad to see him go!

sylvyrdragon

I remember Alex on Bikka, when she stood there and yelled at everyone over Rannie's return from the Mist.  I walked away laughing.

Good work, looking forward to your next.

HerDarkMajesties

Amazing character. The Watchers aren't going to be the same without him.

I'm terrible at taking screenshots, but I tried to get a snap of what so many awesome characters, including Alex, ended up dying for tonight.

Nature's new Super Weapon.

Bobbybrown

Griggs

Had a lot of fun imbibing copious amounts of virtual alcohol with him.

The running in terror from stormclouds was nice as well.

Pup

Was pretty much my first interaction with the character tonight, but I was thoroughly impressed.  And that bows is the tits.
"So what else is on your mind besides 100 proof women, 90 proof whisky, and 14 karat gold?"
"Amigo, you just wrote my epitaph."

"Maybe there's just one revolution.  The good guys against the bad guys.  The question is, who are the good guys?"

~The Professionals

mucka1916

Shit! o_O Brilliant character! Just wish Id a bit more time with him :'(

Johnston

Damn it.

RIP, you snide jackass.