Arty th' Ranger, pleased t' meet'cha.

Started by Adhesive, September 15, 2012, 03:50:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adhesive

Artemis was a pretty simple concept: I want to play a ranger.

I went into her with no goals, no ambitions, and no expectations. I never thought she's last this long, or get to see so much. It's a little overwhelming, trying to think of all the things I got to do with her. It may not have been as spectacular, or as engaging as others might get to do or see, but damn, was it fun!

A little bit about her:

[hide=The Ranger]
Stats (at level 9)
STR 12
DEX 18
Con 10
INT 12
WIS 14
CHA 10

Diety: Selune

Alignment: Chaotic Good Neutral

Background

Artemis was the born the fifth child out of eleven to a farmer living  just outside of Dedluk, of Cormyr. Due to being in the middle of a  forest, the farm was small, and the family hunted almost every day to  supplement the harvest and live through the winter.

Her father was a ranger and adventurer before retiring to the life of a  farmer, though he did little more than protect the roads and trails from  the occasional bandit, owl bear, or Malarite, and it was he who taught  her everything she knows about tracking and hunting.

Life as a farmer was difficult, an the winters were hard on the family.  By the time Artemis left for adventure when she was sixteen, she was  only one child of five left.

Arty traveled all over Interior Faerun. From Cormyr to Sembia, the  Dragon Coast to Chondath. After several years of exploring, she traveled  north to Damara, and spent a great deal of time in the Bloodstone and  the mountains thereabouts.

There, she came across a necromancer and his pupils, high in the  mountains, raiding small settlements and travelers, harvesting their  bodies and attempting to recreate the power Zhengyi once held. Their  magics were still in their infancy, however, and after three years and  cleaning up their undead creatures and tracking the mages down, she put  an end to their plans.

Satisfied with her adventure in Damara, she was on her way to Chult when she was taken by the portal.

Personality
Arty is jovial and good humored, always enjoying a good joke and always  quick with a smile. She is often in high spirits and is fairly  optimistic, and seeks to spread that sort of optimism to others. Even in  times of dire emergency, she will try to lighten the mood with a  lighthearted joke or words of encouragement. Despite her friendly  nature, she is generally shy when asking others of  favors, or receiving  gifts, stemming from her previously solitary life.

She does have streaks of severity, however. Having been groomed as a  huntsman, she greatly respects wildlife and does not like to see it  harmed unnecessarily, nor it's products wasted. As a Selunite, she  respects the right of travel, and will protect anyone, regardless of  their allegiance, from banditry. Because of her great love of life and  the natural world, she also hates anything that desecrates it, such as  undeath or aberration. Anything that compromises the purity and  innocence of the natural world is to be struck down without mercy.[/hide]

After playing around in the server for a little while as a snarky, lispy ranger, Artemis eventually did develop goals, particularly after the incident with the Lottery, one of her first big to-dos! It was very exciting, and shaped her view of the Mist up until her death.

[hide=Some of her goals]Main Goals
  • Learn more of the Fox  Tribe Stargazers and their god 'Kepti', and their relation to the Mist.  As well, learn why the Mist keeps H'balan undead at bay and find a way  to harness that ability to be used outside of the Mists and to cleanse  the Ley Roads.
  • Use the Magistrate Masks to forge an alliance between the Fey Court and the Stewards.
Minor Goals
  • Fulfill the duties of a Guardian, under the guidance of the Druids of the Circle, to the best of her abilities and beyond.
  • Use the Zodiac Rings of Spring and  Autumn with the  Stewards and the Stargazers to aid the fight against H'bala.  Most  importantly, keep them out of reach of H'balans and the Conclave.
[/hide]

[hide=My Ggals for her]My Goals for Artemis (in no particular order)

• To change faith from Selune to a different nature deity, preferably one less 'good'.
  • To 'fall' from Good to Neutral, or further.
  • To further embrace the more unforgiving side of nature, and be more ruthless and primal.
  • To give a palpable sense of nature-folk in the wilderness for Mistlocke, whether friendly or competitive.
  • To  further explore the wilderness/unknown areas of the server,  involving  Withering, nature, the Mist, the Stargazers, and the Fey.
  • To become proficient enough in Herbalism to give her an edge in battle, and to explore the craft in general.
[/hide]

In the end, I fulfilled some of her goals, and some of mine. I consider that fairly successful.

Big shoutouts to everyone who made Artemis a great experience! Midah, Maeri, Harriet, the Conclave wigglers, the Mustards, Aberdenn and Caermyn, Squire Reach and Emily, Mist Champion Rannie, Cecile, Aaron and the Sun Souls, Walt Tanner, Sarah and Secondus. All were characters who touched and shaped Artemis in one way or another. But don't think that's the end of the list. There's so many, too many to write down. You know who you are!

Special thanks to Team Nature aka Dirty Hair, for making the Scars Cave feel alive and welcome! Rani, Awanata, Bruka, K'niti, Alex, Winter, Maggot, Ogden, Duvador, Yngvi, Wintermoss, and so many more!

Big thanks to Madeline LaRue for mentoring my lonely Ranger and being a companion and friend to her during times of strife, and for recruiting her into the Stewards! Amazing secrets were revealed to her during that time, and I know I only scratched the surface.

Phew!

I think, for now, I'll be taking a break. No big characters for now, not until school wraps up. But I'll still be about! See you next time!

o7

(PS, she's not an elf.)

Adhesive

[hide=The Mist Champion's Flight]

[/hide]
[hide=She Liked to Watch People]

[/hide]
[hide=Leading Xamrast the Stoneshaper to the Scar's Cave]

[/hide]
[hide=Big Stompy Treant Marcail]

[/hide]
[hide=Reluctant Leader of the Scar's Tribe][/hide]
[hide=Incarceration, Interrogation, and Death]

[/hide]

[hide=Random Cool Shit]

[/hide]

[hide=OOC Silliness]

[/hide]

And here's a gallery with all the screenshots I uploaded. There are some there that I'm too lazy to post up.

http://imgur.com/a/8BoA6#38

Random_White_Guy

o7 Salute of awesomeness. She brought a spark of life to the wilds that I was pleased to come across on many characters. A great example of how the Stewards need not all be drum-thumping clothwearing savages.
[11:23 PM] Howlando: Feel free LealWG
[11:23 PM] Howlando: I'll give you a high five + fist bump tip

[1:34 AM] BigOrcMan: RwG, a moment on the lips, forever on the hips

Pandip

She was neat, from what I saw. Glad I had the chance to interact with her, if only slightly, towards the end.

The Old Hack

I only got to see her briefly :/ Still, well done!

~tOH.

xxWhisperingWindsxx

[20:20] <crump> nature's not outright trying to murder everyone there, it's playing gentle, lures everyone into a false sense of security. then it strikes. chicago's weather is the bdsm of nature systems

Adhesive

Knight Of Pentacles

Its a good day for rain. . .   ,o7

Aethereal

Her story may have been different if we managed to meet up prior to that final moment in the cell. But still, it looks like a fine and well traveled journey. (thumbs up)
---
'Even life eternal is not time enough to see, all the folly and despair of poor Humanity.' - To Life - A Shoggoth on the Roof

It is through Art, and through Art only, that we can realise our perfection.

Bobbybrown

things shouldn't of played out like that :(

hope you do well on your next character as well

hybridmetis

Well done! A peculiar elf!

:)  Very interesting character.

Awanata

Absolutely beautiful. Gave her the burial she wanted. :'( She'll be missed!

el groso

Well done! A peculiar elf!

;)  

Very interesting character.

efuincarnate

Our time  together was short, but the candle burnt bright!

Pool

All of my adventuring buddies are dieing. ;-;

God speed. o7