alchemy tables

Started by Cerberus, December 07, 2012, 10:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cerberus

Perhaps alchemy tables should be made to only be able to be set up in areas considered 'indoors' (or something on that line). Watching players set up tables in common areas just next to transition points so they can run away when they create earth-elementals that will kill them is very OOC against the AI. Not to mention the random innocent PC passing by getting attacked by a creature that shouldn't really be there smashing lowbees.  

It would be justified by saying the PC experimenting with alchemy would be unsuccessful out in the rain and wind trying to mix precise ingredients.

Incorrigible

Setting it up next to a transition absolutely is exploiting.

Paha

If you see this being done, feel free to come to us with the name. Privately, of course.

We expect a good deal of common sense in playing and not abusing mechanics.

Cerberus

I'm not trying to get players in trouble, nor do I want to in the future. But were the tables made to not let this happen then we would be being proactive instead of reactive.

Aethereal

I believe this type of thing is the reason why tables cannot be placed down within a certain range of NPCs and cannot be placed in certain zones at all (Ziggurat).

The proposed sweeping change is most likely not feasible due to mechanical reasons and really not required (alchemy is also very much an appropriate outdoors sport and has no basis for being restricted to indoors).

If someone is exploiting the system in this manner, they simply need to be reeducated; its not about getting players in trouble at all.
---
'Even life eternal is not time enough to see, all the folly and despair of poor Humanity.' - To Life - A Shoggoth on the Roof

It is through Art, and through Art only, that we can realise our perfection.

Cerberus

Quote from: Aethereal;315674(alchemy is also very much an appropriate outdoors sport and has no basis for being restricted to indoors).
Where I work, labs are air tight clean rooms with fingerprint security clearance and halon fire suppression systems, ~not~ set up in the parking lot. [shrug]

Teeth in a Bowl

Quote from: Cerberus;315688Where I work, labs are air tight clean rooms with fingerprint security clearance and halon fire suppression systems, ~not~ set up in the parking lot. [shrug]

Except, due to IC circumstances, people usually shit the bed (perfectly understandable) when you perform your experiments within buildings in the village.

Not that I'm referring entirely to the village, but there are reasons why people prefer you do this stuff away in some secluded area. Ignoring the fact that your example is pretty fallacious, considering there are no air tight rooms with fingerprint security and fire suppression systems in FR.

Incorrigible

Alchemy tables are not a quarantined modern age laboratory. They are tables with beakers, bowls, a mortar and pestle and a small magic glyph. It is much smaller scale than a laboratory or even work station.

Cerberus

Okay, for those that don't get sarcasm...
The air tight halon room was a sarcastic example insinuating that the wind blowing away a few grains of this or that powder or the rain adding H20 to your mixture or the mosquito landing in the bowl is going to change the outcome and anybody with half a brain would know this. Including the fictional characters of FR.

Adam

And thus why alchemical DC's are so high, and ones alchemy score grows over time.

The ability to overcome these small instances and get the recipe properly going.

Jayde Moon

Setting up alchemy tables in ridiculous or exploitative situations is not cool.

We are not going to change the scripts regarding this, however, so this will not be mechanically enforced.

Exploiting transition will be dealt with like any manner of exploit if we catch it.

Ignoring RP will be dealt with in the same way we deal with other instances of poor playing (like not properly roleplaying your stats).

Little else to say on this topic.

THEDiamondJ

I guess the stargazers will have to build tents and sterilize them with phoenix pine-sol before setting up.