Started by Tala, December 03, 2016, 10:02:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Egon the Monkey

Harpy's Screech. Bard L1
School: Evocation
Range: Short, 10m Cone
Components: Verbal
Descriptors Sonic, Mind-Affecting
The caster lets forth a terrible scream that deals 1d8 Sonic Damage + 1 per Caster Level to all creatures in a 10m cone.
With GSF: Evocation.Causes 1 Round Daze, Will negates.

This should fill an interesting niche. It is based of Pathfinder RPG's Ear Piercing Shriek, and Sound Burst.:

• Provides a L1 Evocation that makes a GSF Evocation Bard a bit more worth the feats
  • Gives an alternative to Grease as an attack spell that works on mindless things.
  • Low damage, no save, but negated by Blur. Which puts it somewhere between Burning Hands and Sound Burst.
  • It makes sense for it not to have a Somatic component, meaning it would fit in nicely with Dwarven Barrelers and other heavier armour bards, discouraging the ol' Striptease Casting Dance. There's Darkness and Blind/Deaf at L2, Displacement at L3 and Flare at L0, but no L1 spell that won't suffer spell failure.
  • It's slow scaling to make it less useful for Bard Multiclasses

I was playing with a Bard Evocator and it feels almost viable. Sound Burst is really good, Wounding Whispers comes with a free enemy-only explosion if you have GSF, and you might even be able to set things on fire with Flare. But there's no L1 Evocation for a bard, so it's hard to spare space for Literal Face-Melting Power Chords early on. I figure an AoE spell would be good to add.  They already have L1 AoE debuffs, and if a Bard wants to hurt a single target, they just hit them with a weapon.

Fuzz

Water Breathing

Druid, Ranger, Sorcerer, Wizard 3
Water Domain 3
School: Transmutation
Components: V, S, M (a short reed or piece of straw)
Range: Touch
Duration: 3 turns/level    Saving Throw: None
Target: Creature touched

The recipient of this spell can breathe underwater for the duration.

Bearic

I was using Clairaudience/clairvoyance with GSF Divination, and the bonus to rounds is quite nice! However, I think maybe the 5/1 damage resistance when cast on self would be a bit nicer if it was something like 10/1dr, 1/5 dr, 5% damage resistance, or some sort of save bonus. Not that it's a terrible perk, especially for Wizards that couldn't use ghostly visage otherwise, but it is a spell slot above and doesn't offer the miss hit chance or spell protections.

Not that it has to be balanced, mind, just a thought. =]

Fuzz

Since the GSF Transmutation bonus for Expeditious Retreat and Haste don't actually work because of the speed limit on PCs that aren't monks, I was thinking what if instead of making you go faster (which they don't) they instead would convert to this:

Expeditious Retreat:
SF Transmutation: Casting the spell on a friendly target nearby will also cast it on you.
GSF Transmutation: Casting the spell on yourself also gives the effect to all allies within a very small area around the caster.

the battle of marathon

The speed changes I do believe, work.

Sem

Non monks cannot break the 150% movespeed cap, it works but only for monks. Monks can't get GSF transmutation.

Egon the Monkey

Tasha's Hideous Laughter.
This is basically the Favoured Enemy: Human of spells.
1: It might still have the bug that causes you to auto-fail if you have a matching PfX to the caster. I was pretty sure I saw it go through Clarity yesterday.
2: It's not on the lists of things removed by Remove Fear, Clarity, Remove Paralysis, Freedom of Movement or Restoration. This makes it incredibly strong as there's no effective counter. To the point that if you have GSF, it's probably worth a shot on targets not of your race.  In default NWN, that's compensated for by the short duration. Similarly, I don't think Freedom of Movement stops it. Can these spells be modified to remove Tasha's/grant immunity?

Sem

Phantoms of Deception

I propose if possible that this spell replaces the darkness with an implementation of the vanishing smoke effect instead. As it is, the Darkness can cause hostility issues with both the clones and NPCs who share the same faction briefly with the clones. It causes a lot of unfortunate issues and I think vanishing smoke fits the theme of the spell just as well.

Bearic

Hello! I was thinking considering bless and bane are both turn/level, and prayer is a third circle spell, maybe it could be bumped up to turn/level from round/level  too?

It also doesn't seem to effect the caster any more either.

VanillaPudding

Conjure Meal
Caster Level(s): Bard 1, Cleric 1, Druid 1, Ranger 1, Wizard / Sorcerer 1
Innate level: 1
Descriptor(s): n/a
School: Conjuration
Components:  Verbal, Somatic
Range: 30 ft
Area of Effect / Target: Special
Duration: Instant
Save: Harmless
Spell Resistance: Yes

The Caster creates magical cauldron of soupy goodness that can feed their party. This allows them to eat before resting in an otherwise safe area (requires nearby campfire / safe rest area)

Bladed Shield
Caster Level(s): Wizard / Sorcerer 2
Innate level: 3
School: Evocation
Components:  Verbal, Somatic
Range: 30 ft
Area of Effect / Target: Single
Duration: 1 round / level -
Spell Resistance: Yes

The caster summons a frenzy of deflecting swords to distract enemies and protect himself. The flurry of kinetic weapons only function by using the energy of their enemies. (These swords have an AB equal to a fighter of the Wizard's level, however they are permanently in parry mode. At levels 6 and 9, the swords gain dual wielding and improved two weapon fighting respectively, allowing them to parry more attacks - Insert some balanced parry amount here)

petey512

Blood Construct
Caster Level(s): Sorceror, 4th Circle
School: Transmutation
Components:  Material, Somatic
Range: Self
Area of Effect / Target: Encircling Caster
Duration: Instant
Spell Resistance: No

The sorceror inflicts damage on themselves equal to 1d4 points of magical damage. Depending on the number of damage inflicted they would summon one to four small blood golems about their person which would proceed to defend and attack at the sorcerer's whim.
"Proving concerned parents from the 80's wrong, just in time for them to be dead. "

Egon the Monkey

Give Blast of Flame the mini-combust effect that Burning Hands has. As it is, it's just Mestil's Acid Breath, but in a higher level slot and with a less generally useful damage type.
Giving it a save vs 1d6 dmg per round for 2 rounds would boost it up to something people could use rather than the cheaper Acid Shotgun.

Sem

Allow Negative Energy Ray items to benefit from feats, or at the very least allow wands to.

Egon the Monkey

True Seeing: (This came up after a player-advice discussion)
Grants See Invis and Immunity to Illusions.
Especially since PfX gives PHK immunity, this spell is kind of underwhelming for a L5 Spell.  Although considering the options clerics get at L5, it's probably more worth treating it as a L3-4 domain spell.

I think that adding +5 Spot and Search would be a good boost. Not enough to let an animal cleric extend it for permanent amazing Spot, but enough that's it\'s pretty good as it lasts a lot longer than Clairaudience/Clairvoyance. Or could it be scripted to let you auto-pass Search checks for hidden doors?

Healing Circle:
This might be worth reducing to L3, as it's effecively the inverse of Negative Energy Burst. It's completely worthless as a L5 spell, and only ever shows up as loot. Or if not, putting in as an L3 spell for Renewal/Repose domains maybe?

Jello!

Changing or buffing the light summoning theme's 4th level summonable creature.

Pro's of the summon: It has decent hp and  listen skill.

Con's: Low damage, low ac, it's bolt attack is limited and also doesn't do much damage.

Sum of my opinion: I haven't tested this summon out on every monster type,  and thus I am unaware if it  is stronger against a specific type of monster,  but I am generally unsure why anyone would take this summon over a fire elemental.