Today is Autism Awareness Day! And also part of Autism Awareness Month.

Started by Time_Stomped, April 02, 2018, 02:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hollow_Mage

Grew up with Tourette's for which I was diagnosed and pharmaceutically treated through my early teenage years. Ticks, counting, and the like. There's a good argument for me being somewhere on the Autism spectrum, I also think it's a poorly labeled fad diagnosis and probably does more harm than good. People grow up, change, and more to the point: no-one has to be sociable if they don't want to be. There's too many humans as it is. Those subjective definitions of Autism Spectrum Disorder are designed to justify a bloated psuedo-medical industry, not to provide genuine support to people affected by those symptoms or collective issues.

but lol comix

UncleKnight

I am frankly disappointed that anyone believes it's appropriate to make a silly meme comic about something that people and their families struggle with.  It destroys lives in the worst of cases.  It's not funny.  It's not a meme. 

There are tons of gamer autist jokes that go around EFU because it's a game that requires a small degree of math.  So it's something that one toughens up to quickly.  But this is just reprehensible.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt and believe you are trying to do a good thing by bringing up awareness about it.  But if you can't do it in a respectful manner, please don't do it at all.

Time_Stomped

Quote from: UncleKnight on April 04, 2018, 12:19:27 AM
I am frankly disappointed that anyone believes it's appropriate to make a silly meme comic about something that people and their families struggle with.  It destroys lives in the worst of cases.  It's not funny.  It's not a meme. 

It's based on a legitimate source.  The characters except for the necromancer's stereotyped laugh, had qualities extremely similar to the symptoms.  Although Julia has been adopted as a less circulate meme, she is still a representative icon and generally a positive figure.

The point of autistic awareness is to show people with misconceptions that autism is, also, not terminal-cancer-aids that is always this burden to their families.  Most don't want pity, they want change from being viewed as victims that can never amount to what a normal person can do.

There's even a T-shirt that says "I don't want your pity."

There are also comedies related to autism that while sometimes very inaccurate at some points, have really nice people working to produce them and I highly doubt they are trying to degrade anyone.  Comedy has quite a few roots in autism and there are plenty of autism related comedians out there including people with autism.

Of course, that doesn't stop people from speaking for them- instead of just themselves.  Just as you are now.

There are tons of gamer autist jokes that go around EFU because it's a game that requires a small degree of math. 

Well, if its positive I don't see a problem and neither do a lot of autistic people.  However, some might be offended if you directly call them an autist if it is used insultingly and also without insult intended as they are not their ASD.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt and believe you are trying to do a good thing by bringing up awareness about it.  But if you can't do it in a respectful manner, please don't do it at all.

And I will as well and believe you aren't trying to engage in anti-meme politics as you seem genuinely uninformed in a complex issue/world that no amount of educated people have resolved in most places.  The point of the comic is to relate the symptoms to the characters and mannerisms that EfU players adore.

Some ASD advocates coin the term that "Everyone is a little autistic." Another is that the further you go up in STEM fields people that not on the spectrum seem to be harder to find than the ones that are...

P.S. The guy who made Pokemon is autistic, mind blown right?

Ironside

This isn't really the kind of thing the forums should be used for.  Locked.