Alternate Ways to Gain Citizenship

Started by Requiem, February 20, 2009, 07:56:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Requiem

Maybe there should be other ways to gain citizenship that two weeks of civil service? Something that would be less of a hassle for both the Guard and the player.

Considering that in Old Port you can buy your nobility, maybe you could also buy citizenship.

Oskar Maxon

Germain

Having played a Guardsman at one time, albeit short lived, I support this as well.

Gwydion

The RP of gaining citizenship is painfully repetitious to Guard/House Sharboneth characters IMO.  

Typical warrior/guard types would get sick of it quickly, and either make it very easy or very hard to gain citizenship.  

Or take bribes themselves to grease the wheels.    :D

ScottyB

Mort can only say, "changes are coming down the pipe, let me finish them" so many times.

Luke Danger

I'm with Gwydion, I was enjoying it early, but it got annoying fast, I'm not a paper pusher, and neither is half the PC members of the Guard/Sharborneth

Seriously, another method before more Sharb/Guard PC's are retired because people can't cope.

ExileStrife

What's so great about citizenship?

MisterPAIN

I already sent a letter proposing a certain kind of waiver, but it was ignored IC being sent to a certain NPC. >.>

So if anything blame the Sharboneth government.

Basically:

Service waived if person previously was a member of a militia-like group or otherwise independent defensive participation during the period before the Sharboneth presence.

Waiver if participated in any of the battles of Red Elaint.

Waived if a member of the Magister's Guild or Colonial Guard at the time of its validity.

Waived if for an estimation of over two weeks that the individual, unpaid in service, has acted in the interests of the lives of the citizens in the form of patrols, skirmishes involving threats to citizens, and fighting nightrisers.

Waived if collecting a bounty concerning a criminal, alive.

Howlando

QuoteMort can only say, "changes are coming down the pipe, let me finish them" so many times.

This thread is completely unnecessary.

MisterPAIN

Quote from: Luke Danger;111652I'm with Gwydion, I was enjoying it early, but it got annoying fast, I'm not a paper pusher, and neither is half the PC members of the Guard/Sharborneth.

In retrospect, I have always been fine with the idea of doing this and I find it almost mockingly hilarious that any intentional Underdark registering PC or watchmen attempt has been rejected.  It is a damn shame that you all must suffer the poor, poor, poor duties of not liking to register people while standing around getting wages and faction gear while I have been burnt out of caring for attempts for a "guard" in general for like a year.  Really.  Blame my general antics, I say.  You could try asking Sigfried the Badger Bookie to do your paperwork, except apparently druids are impossible to be part of the faction now, oh well!

My particular concern is that EFU:A is starting to feel less PC driven and more "hold on, we're finishing this" DM vice grip.  It seemed all so more cooler when Caddies was governor.

Luke Danger

Quote from: MisterPAIN;111662It seemed all so more cooler when Caddies was governor.

Amen to that, I liked it when it was a PC who was the big cheese around here, not an NPC.

CunningPlan

MisterPAIN, much as I like Sigfried's concept, I can't really see many Druids working for a civilised faction to which orders and law are more important than druidic oaths. Druids are the majority of the time, outsiders to civilisation. Be the exception, but it's going to be an uphill struggle for those IC reasons, and general image of druids.

I will agree that we seem to be in a "DM led server tweaking" phase again, after the original anarchy, then Banners (which did feel railroaded, but kudos to the DMs for dropping the system when it didn't make as much sense anymore), then the "Deus Ex Sharboneth", then Ortred in charge.

Also that you don't get that handy gear and pay for nothing. You have duties. This includes The Paperwork. Although I'd like to see the Armada having some unrewarded assignments to earn their pay. I see them plot and quest a lot, but nothing that seems to fall under "hired guard duty".

Caddies

I am not sure if this is already how it works, but allowing every Sharboneth PC access to Citizenship Papers would be awesome. This would allow for favours/bribes to gain Citizenship in addition to the civil service.

9lives

Howland is invisible, tbh.

DangerousDan

Quote from: Caddies;111667I am not sure if this is already how it works, but allowing every Sharboneth PC access to Citizenship Papers would be awesome. This would allow for favours/bribes to gain Citizenship in addition to the civil service.

It is the case. Anyway, mechanical changes are in the works which will result in a better and more rounded system. I sort of feel like a parrot here.