A curious (elven) possibility

Started by Aethereal, December 06, 2013, 01:29:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aethereal

I've had an idea which I'm not entirely set upon, but thought I'd air it publicly to see if there's any token of interest.

The basic premise is the chance to play a relative (definitely younger) of my current character Arantras (who for those who are unaware, is a venerable moon elf with Evermeet/sun elf ancestry) for the purposes of a certain plot (positive outcome) I have in mind that is very much dependent upon a blood connection.

Now, to be clear this can be done in one of MANY ways and the restrictions upon the way you want to play your character is very much something you can decide for yourself - though I am happy to provide input and ideas.

It is unlikely you will be able to play any of his immediate family prior to the Darkening, as (spoiler - though it's not impossible if it is desired) but Arantras has over the centuries traveled across the length and breadth of Faerun and the isles, and in his more youthful years was quite debauched indeed. This means the character would more likely be a half-elf than an elf (any subrace), possibly planes-touched, and you'd be free to determine the nature of the relationship.

Examples:

• Antagonistic, possibly evil

This would be a curious one to see play out, the conflict should not to be too heated (i.e. FD hatred, that just seems counter productive) and the character not to be tragic (prefer them to change with the environment and experiences in-game, for good or ill).

You could play a brooding half-elf, nearing the end of their years searching to exact vengeance upon the bastard who left them to fend for self and their human mother (before she died, ouch.) Accosting all elves and vigorously interrogating their histories before leaving them upon the curb.

• Benevolent, Soul-searcher, Seeker

This feels like the most appropriate one, but again, all possibilities are welcome and a unique take on the concept so that you enjoy it best is the ideal.

Brought up with the ideal that nothing evil is produced from love, an elf or half-elf who has always wandered who they are somehow survives the Dread Tides, confused and uncertain, longing for something to make sense in the maddening darkness.
[/LIST]

The concept can be taken many other ways that are all appropriate, from melancholy, haughty self-regard, hatred of the elven aspect of the self, love of the elven aspect of the self, idealistic view of lost elven culture, adherence to the Revenant Prince's hatred of everything, or hell, even outright insanity.

All of that is just the initial direction, which will evolve as you enter Sanctuary and eventually meet the lost sire (you may or may not even know the name of who that is.)

Any class is okay, though a wizard and or sorcerer would be the ideal. There is also a great possibility you could play an Arcane Archer through this concept, taking on a leadership role (with plenty of support) though you should pre-plan for it if you desire such.

Contact me if this is at all something you are interested in, via this thread or PM. And if you want the specifics or want to collaborate on the concept, send a PM my way!

Also if this has inspired a concept and you don't want to actually play a relative of Arantras, good for you - go ahead and enjoy.
---
'Even life eternal is not time enough to see, all the folly and despair of poor Humanity.' - To Life - A Shoggoth on the Roof

It is through Art, and through Art only, that we can realise our perfection.

Aethereal

I have enough interest to work with now.

Though I think it could be intriguing to see the character's past indiscretions come back to haunt him in an age long detached from such carelessness, by allowing people to make a concept based on a direct genetic relationship with him, without my awareness as a player - that wasn't the intent of this particular opportunity.

I'm happy to help people develop Elven concepts in general though - I do believe I'd be a good resource in helping your characters get right into the midst of things.

Thanks folks.
---
'Even life eternal is not time enough to see, all the folly and despair of poor Humanity.' - To Life - A Shoggoth on the Roof

TheTurboNerd

Is this concept still open?

Aethereal

Closed so as to preserve integrity of the concept. Though I am open to a good pitch, via PM as you please.
---