Make Furors pure barbarian only

Started by Grouch, May 18, 2019, 12:58:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grouch

Make Furors pure barbarian only

7 Barbarian is the peak of value, 8 doesn't make much of a difference and I keep thinking about how good something like 7 barbarian 2 ranger, 5 barbarian 4 cleric, 7 Barbarian 2 rogue, 7 Barbarian 2 bard might be but all of this in the back of my mind seems like cheese builds and don't make a whole lot of sense.

I don't know if people are actually making these but I feel like I have seen a few around that have beaten me to it.

Furors are/can be immensely powerful and I feel they should be like the Barbarian perks of old used to be and be exclusively for Pure Class.

Next time on Grouch's suggestions - Full BAB classes shouldn't be able to multiclass with other full BAB classes without permission!
Things will never be the same (I've applied too much ketchup to this hamburger)

SovietGrowlithe

I could see the value to this. Though admittedly the rage is on a pretty long cooldown for someone who's multi-classing.  It's like 18 or 20 mins. So someone really has to time it well for pve purposes. Bard/Barbarian is sort of like a 'skald' . A barbarian/rogue is like a 'thug'. A Ranger/Barbarian is like a Wildman/Hunter. The only one I couldn't see is Barb/Cleric. I'm not much of a powerbuilder in general so I wouldn't know how strong those things could really be.  I've not really gotten a character past eight in this chapter so it's hard for me to say how strong one would be at those levels.  I suppose the level 8 isn't too appealing? The extra 5% resistance to me would seem somewhat worth it.  Perhaps giving the furor's a 'Pure Bonus'  sort of how the Rogue's get a Pure Bonus. Though as is. With it only being used basically once per rest for the most part, not to sure what difference it would make. Though I do see many people with the Terrifying Rage Furor.   Equally so, I'm not sure if it's a thing but I feel the furor/rage shouldn't be able to be used if you're wearing full plate either. Not to piggy back on it but it would just make sense that you lose 'all barbarian' power if you're in heavy armor. Not just the movement speed and Dmg%.
"Death is the solution to all problems. No man - no problem." - Joseph Stalin

Dagonlives

I agree with this actually.  The rage cooldown is long enough that often it's only 1/rest for a typical barb who isn't very high level + feats.  It would be a good idea to make furors pure barbarian only.

Grouch

You will not be raging more than once per encounter no matter what flavor of barbarian you may be, a Skald isn't dipping 1 or 2 bard levels to get the huge saves, spellcraft, concentration, tumble and wands value as their main class would be bard and they wouldn't get any Furors.

Thug is already a rogue perk so the rogue doesn't need 7 barbarian levels, they wouldn't be rogues anymore at that point. You dip rogue to get tumble, UMD and sneak attacks, sometimes stealth!

The Barb/Cleric wouldn't wear fullplate as movespeed and DI is quite good. The onus is on the saves, skills, useful turn undeads and buffs you can apply to yourself not counting specialized builds that could take things a little further. As noted in the wiki, wisdom has great synergy with barbarian rage, it makes it last longer and reduces the cooldown so why NOT also be a cleric? Fighter Cleric is so last week.

As for Barbarian Ranger, its stealth. Do you think Barbarians are already quite fearsome? Imagine one being right next to you ready to attack but you can't spot him, bonus points for terror rage; with the free action barbarian rage the moment he breaks stealth he is also breaking your bones - You will generally be too shocked to respond before you are finished. You may well say invisibility is the same thing, but it really isn't as invisibility is much easier to counter by anyone with 80 gold and brewer access. This can also use divine wands.

As to the 5% DI from level 8, in my mind there is little difference between 5% DI and 15% DI as typically it will only be reducing physical damage by 1 or 2 points barring a juicy crit. DI is only ridiculous when it hits critical mass such as 25%+

Even without furors these vanilla barbarian multiclasses are still very strong contenders. With furors they are/would be on another level altogether.

All of these multiclasses reinforce a weakness inherent in the Barbarian class and or give them huge improvements at minimal investment.
Things will never be the same (I've applied too much ketchup to this hamburger)

VanillaPudding

Quote from: Grouch on May 18, 2019, 07:49:16 AM

All of these multiclasses reinforce a weakness inherent in the ....

That's the general idea between all multi-classing since the birth of D&D. EFU already had it's trend of overly nerfed multi-classes and has moved on to a better place since while still supporting awesome pure class perks and bonuses. If you think it's too strong then make one and let the heads roll :)