What defines a Guildmaster?

Started by Zerminar12, September 26, 2019, 09:01:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zerminar12

The obvious answer being "a master of a guild" but I'm unsure that's quite the case. There appears to be a certain set of NPCs: Tchamorrar, Uld, Webber, and a few others who bear the title "guildmaster". These individuals wield greater political power than others. My question is whether the title of guildmaster is granted or earned. Are the leaders of certain companies referred to as guildmasters (namely the guilds who founded the Square) or does the leader of any significantly powerful and wealthy organization count as a guildmaster?

I'm asking this question because of the way Strongholds work in Ticker Square. Only Merchant Guild members can claim Strongholds yet they are understood to not truly own that land but rather to be renting it. In return for getting to rent that land, they must fulfill the orders of guildmasters. This leads me to conclude that even if a Merchant Guild member possesses a building from which to operate their business, runs a successful and powerful enterprise, and exerts large amounts of influence: they still are not necessarily a "guildmaster".

In conclusion, what separates the leader of a particularly powerful merchant company with some form of guildhall from a full-fledged guildmaster? I'd like to make it abundantly clear that I'm not asking for any information that isn't common knowledge among the populace of Ticker Square. I'm just asking for clarification because I'm an oblivious fool who's probably missed some publicly available info that clearly explains the political situation of the Square.
What has been, it is what will be, And what has been done, it is what will be done. So there is nothing new under the sun.

Aethereal

There's a very simple answer to this: the Merchant's Guild's Guildmasters are the established leaders and proprietors of the most successful or powerful businesses of Ticker Square, representing the political caucus of the Ward.

The current Guildmasters are Walda Webber, of Webber's Wonders Clothiers, Silas Sparrowbroth, Innkeeper of the Open Door, Oscar Tchammorar, Owner of the Adamantine Vault Bank, Khur Uld, Baron of the Cheese Factory, and Priscilla Klink, Publisher and Proprietor of the Rumour Mill news pamphlet.

To become a Guildmaster is no easy feat and even the leader of a well established and long-term player faction renting one of the properties of Ticker Square cannot just assume the position of a Guildmaster. It requires very dedicated effort or special circumstances, such as the current plot that involves the shards of the Eye of the Serpent Gem where Oscar Tchammorar is offering promotion to Guildmaster as a potential reward:

Quote from: Oscar TchammorThere is no place safer in this Ring than the Adamantine Vault; bring them to me for safekeeping. Promotion within the Guild of Merchants shall be offered to any who bring them, even elevation to Guildmaster. But if political power does not interest, I am certain great riches will. Bring me these gems, and it will be yours.

Be sure to have a read of this: Region Profile for Ticker Square.
---
'Even life eternal is not time enough to see, all the folly and despair of poor Humanity.' - To Life - A Shoggoth on the Roof

It is through Art, and through Art only, that we can realise our perfection.

SkillFocuspwn

Aethereal has hit the nail on the head; the difference between a Guildmaster and a very powerful and wealthy merchant is that Guildmaster is a (self-)elected position. To become a Guildmaster, you would need the rest of them to vote for you to become one of them; something certainly possible for players, but requiring exemplary commitment and success in game.

If you're not sure who the Guildmasters are, their busts are present in the Merchant Guildhall in Ticker Square.

Howlando

One of the characteristics of the v5 setting is the many varieties of Guilds (of varying sorts) that exists here and there throughout the Rings.

While presumably each guild has some kind of "guild master" (or guild leader), the term "Guildmaster" actually specifically refers to the members of the leadership council of the Merchant's Guild of Ticker Square. The Merchant's Guild is essentially the ruling group of that particular hub, so a "Guildmaster" is one of the small council of leaders who run Ticker Square.

Zerminar12

Thanks for the thorough replies. So this more or less confirms that not all guild leaders or "guildmasters" are Guildmasters with a capital G. Also, Tchamorrar is offering the position of Guildmaster status for the shards? Woof, I've been a bit too busy to keep up with the aftermath of the slave revolt prelude but that's a really tasty opportunity. I'd understand why players (and NPCs) would be reticent about handing it back to the lizards for nothing. Although that seems a little too good to be true. I suppose this confirms that Ticker Square is more fair than the Peerage. Whereas Peerage leadership usually is granted by bloodright, in theory anyone who earns the approval of the other Guildmasters can become one.
What has been, it is what will be, And what has been done, it is what will be done. So there is nothing new under the sun.

Loops

Tbf though there have been 3 characters in the Peerage that earned status as minor peers. I don't think anyone has become a guild master... Yet.

It is interesting though.

Aethereal

Zerminar, I would say that the ideas behind who is more 'fair', Ticker Square or Peerage is truly best left to determine in-game because there are nuances and as Loops mentions, there are ways to work up the ranks of the noble Houses through service. There have been three PCs who have been knighted (status as minor peers) and several PCs who have attempted to raise their own House up from the background of the lesser houses in the Ward.

Both sides favour shrewd dealings (be it intrigues or business acumen), and staying power (lasting presence and achievements to boot). The real difference might just be more the way each side presents themselves, because really they are both meritocracies from the PLAYER perspective - one in service to their betters, ideals and traditions and the other success in commerce or even command of the economy of the City.

Edit:
Isn't it such a great way to explore the philosophical question of what is more fair?
---
'Even life eternal is not time enough to see, all the folly and despair of poor Humanity.' - To Life - A Shoggoth on the Roof

Zerminar12

You make a very good point Aethereal. I agree that it's a very interesting dichotomy. Reflecting on it more closely, I think both sides are likely "unfair" irregardless of whether they are meritocratic. After all, the existence of Pauper's Ponds as a ghetto of exiles, freaks, and the poor who are unable to thrive in either society proves that not all people are guaranteed equal chances. Although the folks of Ticker Square would probably say that those who ended up in the Ponds are there because of their own failure.

One last question about Guildmasters, it was mentioned that to become one you had to be elected by the other Guildmasters. Does this appointment need unanimous approval or will a majority suffice? For example, if I've angered a single Guildmaster incredibly in the pursuit of pleasing the other Guildmasters would that more or less invalidate my candidacy? Not trying to be so presumptuous as to suggest that I'm going to become a Guildmaster, but I'm just curious as to the exact rules. Again, if this is knowledge not known to the plebeians of the Square then please withhold.

Aethereal

There is posturing and politicking amongst the Merchant's Guild's Guildmasters, as while they are joint together against outside forces, they do have their own internal points of difference, intrigues and conflicts. It might be slightly spoiler but mostly well established and known that as long as you do not drastically offend Guildmaster Oscar Tchammorar you can probably get away with making enemies with one of the other ones and still be able to able to reach the position of Guildmaster. Just remember achieving something like this is not in any way an easy feat to begin with, so you'd really want to play your cards right and you should not be discouraged by failure if it is something you are seeking to pursue.

I don't think there's really anything more intricate about the process that can be explained without, as you say, presenting knowledge that is not widely known.
---