Ordyn Ravenshylde - the hard-elbowed groat-loving dwarven wizard

Started by Eraamion, November 20, 2020, 09:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eraamion

After some long, long time (8 months), the gold dwarf Ordyn Ravenshylde is finally done. It was likely my longest sustainedly played PC, and I had a lot of fun with him - thanks to all the players and DMs who made it so, which means likely about everyone, but especially the Greystones, Arek Vlasi and the Delvers.

Ordyn began as an Awakened, and sought to find his place in this strange realm doing what he and his erstwhile dwarven hold did best - arcane wizardry and merchandise. He slowly climbed up the ladder of Tickertowne merchants and at the same time sought to reach the deepest rings, initially paying to mercenaries to get him deeper, then slowly establishing his own brand and combining different associates to reach deeper and deeper rings with more and more plunder.

But it was always Tickertowne he kept returning to and getting richer and richer in. Eventually he joined the Merchants' Guild and after Luke Danebluff's death he became the leading  merchant in town, his back protected by the guildmasters' favorite spymaster Arek Vlasi, which also meant that he bore a large part of the responsibility to organize the defenses  against the Copper Torcs, something that despite great effort he eventually failed to do. He ended up in exile, retreating into the deeper rings until the Copper Torcs were gone, and then had to pay his way back at no small expense.

This was his favorite way of solving problems - bribing and gifting around so that people always saw more use in him being alive than dead. This was also how he managed to survive his perennial thorn in the side, the Knaves-- until he did not.

Embittered with how matters developed and with the inferior humans lording around-- he was a dwarven supremacist until the very end, something that was only tempered by his survival instinct-- he threw himself fully into ringrunning after a brief skin-saving stint in the Weavers' Guild where he maintained careful balance of power with the Accountants thanks to his rare friendship with Arek. He founded the Delvers' Guild and after some attempts he finally managed to bring a sizeable force upon the cusp of the deepest rings-- but he was thwarted at the last possible moment, literally one day before the main challenge was attempted and the riches of the golden city that he kept dreaming about would lay at his sturdy dwarven feet, hardened through months of double-march.

I designed Ordyn specifically to be able to have a fun without the need to plot and to explore as much of the server content as possible. In the end, I kept being dragged into more plots than likely all of my previous PCs combined and my main wish, which was to see the content of the deep rings, remained largerly unfulfilled due to repeatedly losing ringrunning buddies or, in the latest stages, being actively obstructed. While the death was not inevitable, another overwhelming obstacle and delay after the months of playing and effort made me choose otherwise. As I have been mentioning for some time, starting another PC and getting them to see what I wished to see in case Ordyn would die is unfortunately a time luxury I cannot afford in foreseeable future -- but who knows what will happen in a few years. Until then, enjoy all the fun and thanks again for having contributed to mine!

Oh and the single DM loot item I had, courtesy of YMD (as if the description itself was not hint enough):

sankarul

On my first day on the server, my little throw away character ran into Ordyn and he was bossing people around even then. I'll miss this dwarf. :( well played.

Random_White_Guy

It was a thrill to both work with, and against him.

The original knave hunt with Beauxregard was so fun and I enjoyed everything, including you bribing me to change gears which was well received per your mention of bribing everything to make change.

As well I thoroughly loved our encounters on Songwood and his grooming political favor as a non-human and etc.

And our short tenure with Etzio and Ordyn doing scouting for pay and all that was just a great start up for an explorer.

Being the big seat can take its toll. Hopefully you can find a more chill PC to enjoy with the new schedule/etc.
[11:23 PM] Howlando: Feel free LealWG
[11:23 PM] Howlando: I'll give you a high five + fist bump tip

[1:34 AM] BigOrcMan: RwG, a moment on the lips, forever on the hips

Electrohydra

Ordyn was an amazing PC, and I think I was privileged to be one of those that got to see his more scheming side back when I played Alexandra Winespill. Shame we couldn't seal their deal in the end, but he was one of the best "opponents" my PCs have had.

Amazing dwarf, great characterization without being a stereotype.

I'll be waiting when you get back.

-UnholyWon-

Ordyn was an awesome PC, and I'm glad I got to interact with him. I'm sad our little scheme never worked, honestly Ordyn was to well established for it to be believed. The Delvers was so much fun. Cheers!

Discord - Howlando: UnholyWon, an Elder Thing that has crawled from the depths of Chapter 1, many a nature-pc and adventurer played in the past... a rare sighting IG in recent chapters, but perhaps less rare than we realize. Beware his professional insight into the minds of the mentally disturbed.

whyemmdee

tchundere

Egon the Monkey

Quote from: Doc"Yeah, well. Never wore colours for anyone before. But Ordyn's got one big benefit over any other boss in the 99. He *makes some fucking sense*

Was fun scheming with him from those early days, to the Torc war, to exile in Towertop and beyond. An inventive character who kept reinventing himself but always falling back to PLUNDER when he needed it. Very much the CMOT Dibbler of EFU.

Richørd

No, Ordyn!

Genuinely enjoyable to work under back when I played Meatklyff. A fine boss.

Kanana

Ordyn felt like a genuine Guildmaster of the Square. A constant and reliable presence in that made you feel at any given time that you were missing out on something if he wasn't to be found or involved in your story in some way, shape or form.

Being around with him was a blast (in metaphorical and literal meaning in the form of scintillating spheres) . Thank you for showing up in this chapter and goodbye, until the next time.

Legebril

*runs in tears and hugs the idea of large relic collection is lost now*
WHY??? WHY???

Rest in peace dwarf! Hope to see you around sometime more!

Quarterdragon

Nazey

You created an iconic and influential PC mostly through his presence, charisma and clever mercantile.  No easy feat... good job.

SamB123

End of an age. The last merchant has fallen. Long live Ordyn, in our memories.

Haer Dalis 83