Remove XP Requirements from Crafting

Started by Ser Shroom, November 25, 2020, 07:45:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ser Shroom

Suggestion:- Remove XP costs from crafting potions, wands and scrolls

Why:- Beyond it being a requirement in pen and paper DnD / vanilla NWN I don't understand why it is was ever made a part of EfU's crafting system. I see no value in maintaining it as an associated cost to crafting and it would be a great quality of life improvement particularly for higher level caster merchants / PCs.

Richørd

I don't know if any such system ever existed for pen and paper DnD but how about ...

... EXP gets refunded when total CL is X levels above spell level Y, also depending on factors such as :
- Am I crafting a wand?
- Am I brewing potions?
- Is it a scroll I am slapping this spell onto?

I think that would massively help high CL characters not feel like they just spent an entire high level quest's worth on brewing a big order of potions.

Ultimately though this is up to the team. I for one can't say if the EXP cost is even an actual issue for caster PCs since I have never played a high level one.

Egon the Monkey

Richørd: The issue isn't so much "I can't level up, I'm making all these potions" and more "I just leveled up, now I need to quest in order to have enough XP to actually craft".  It's especially bad if you're a PC like Ordyn who was supplying an entire ringrunning team and had reached a high level.

XP isn't a useful cost because it doesn't really have any effect on the market. It inconveniences the occasional PC sometimes, but it's not a limiting factor on the overall supply of Blur etc. It has previously meant that I've burned XP on making a bulk supply of potions just before leveling up, as it's easier to get XP at L8 than L9 for example.

The XP cost could go away, and it would barely affect the server because the actual limiting factor is "How much people are willing to spend". In general, there's more than one PC selling potions at a time.