Overhaul the Squire perk

Started by parthenos, February 03, 2021, 07:13:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

parthenos

The squire perk is way too badass, tasteful and corresponding to the setting's themes of nobility and chivalry to remain an underused choice along with the other more nebulous perks for characters that might have otherwise used the perk as part of their characterisation. I will attempt to convince you why below by illustrating a few of my grievances, and perhaps providing a quasi-believable alternative.

My primary grievance lies in the Disarm feat which I believe the design of the perk is centred around. This is for two reasons- it turns the perk into a niche which would primarily be attractive to those wishing to take disarm and save a feat. And that it encourages every character who takes the perk to make use of the Disarm feat. While by no means I condemn the usage of the feat by those who take the perk for this purpose, I myself find it difficult to imagine myself playing a warrior who's martial education was steeped in morality and honour striking to disarm an opponent, only to continue attacking, or to deprive them of their weapon entirely.

It also makes the perk rather underwhelming to those who would rather not invest into Disarm further. I think the Charisma bonus is fine and indicative of a character's greater attention to interpersonal relations. But small idiosyncrasies such as this are not often portrayed between players, leaving the perk to have a rather underwhelming feeling outside of its useful active.  The level 1 skills are also appropriate, and should stay.

In a perfect world I'd change the Level 8 bonus for the Level 5 bonus, with Squires receiving the Charisma boon at Level 5, and the extra feat given at Level 8 to be something more theme appropriate such as the knight's Rallying Cry or Inspire courage which are both small AB radius boosts, or something equivalent that would represent the Squire's education in the leading of men, women and whatever.

This is a small idiosyncratic gripe that I put forward with the humble knowledge of its own insignificance. Perhaps some DM, when given the time, might flock their divine gaze to this unwashed suggestion thread and find a better alternative. Until then I play man at arms, lol.

I love cats

In summary please undweeb the squire perk.

parthenos

So rofl. It is so pitiful!

Thank you for the input, I love cats.

Howlando

I agree but you you should suggest something more concrete other than the Purple Dragon Knight abilities which are way too flashy and annoying.

parthenos

I will give this a think. Perhaps I love cats might also be able to suggest something. Seeming to be more or less as passionate about the perk as I am.

Knight Of Pentacles

+2 charisma at 5 and Immunity vs fear at 8 and make the ability do a free action mass remove paralysis/fear with +2 mind affecting when activated.    Would make the perk worth taking for sure and makes sense for its theme.

parthenos

A mass remove fear/remove paralysis would be an interesting mechanic recognising the Squire's ability to rally soldiers, and I would put my vote behind it.