Visangiri Bataev, the Herald of the Count, Knave of 99

Started by wundyboy, August 23, 2021, 06:01:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wundyboy

In the far, distant realm of Sembia, within the gilded streets of Selguant, a crime family known as the Bataevs lived and reigned. There was the patriarch, and his four sons and two daughters. The eldest was the heir apparent, who often scorned his responsibilities, and cared only for his music, his art, his poetry. He ran the streets of Selguant as a pompadour, but quick to temper, and dismissive of most. 'Why would I kneel', he often thought, 'when I am the king of this city?' Disrespectful to his father, commanding and domineering of his siblings, this heir was truly a nuisance...

Until one day, he awoke in the City of Rings. Dressed in his finest silks, wearing heirlooms of gold and silver, passed down to his family for generations, he had little else to his name... But opportunity, he thought, can be found anywhere... Especially with a bit of luck. The Spinning Groat he would call home for over a decade. He gambled, he drank, he wined, he whored. He would often win, but in the Groat, red always overcomes the weak willed.. Gambled away were his heirlooms. Gambled away were his fine clothes, silks... Gambled away were all of his belongings. Until he had nothing left to give but his life in service. Visangiri Bataev kneeled... for a power he would never overcome.

[hide]

Early days.
[/hide]

The early days of Visangiri Bataev were a bit awkward. Mostly, it dealt with trying to establish myself as a merchant and treasure seeker, while failing horribly. I wanted to be a guy that everyone knew and liked, who was extremely approachable about anything. Rather than trying to infiltrate a specific house, I wanted to just acquire information from everyone, and see who was loyal to the Count. I never really got anywhere with it though. Most people were extremely exclusive with their plots and schemes, and I really couldn't finagle my way into anyone's inner talks. But that's fine, some times that's the way it goes.
[hide]

[/hide]

Word would finally reach Bataev that he was being called upon. This was my introduction to the Knaves, right outside House Moonspear as I was on my way to talk to them about some deal I was orchestrating. I prayed that no one would casually walk out and see me talking to the knave, and luckily, my identity was secret. For now.
[hide]

[/hide]

Bataev was alone often. To really start breaking the ice, and being the face of the knaves, I called upon a gambling night at the Drill. The overall idea was to make people believe that the Count could be trusted, and that he was aiming to actually improve people's lives. To do this, on the night of the Drill's reopening, I gave everyone favors. I had a whole list, some I completed, some were too convoluted for me to try. But I enjoyed getting them, and it really did give people agency to try and accomplish things they would want done. If I never completed your request, it wasn't because I was ignoring it; some were merely too difficult without a DM supervising, and I was often busy doing other things.
[hide]

[/hide]

Organizing and giving direction to the Redjacks was very fun. I enjoyed their presence, and they were rampant with doing whatever they wanted. But always, they had a kind respect for the mask, and often yielded to authority. Maybe a bit too reliant on my direction, but overall, they were a good assortment of Redjacks, and did me proud. To the players of both Pointdexters, Guiseppe, and Harh, well done. You really did a good job of acting as militia men, and I couldn't have asked for a better support role for the time we shared together.
[hide]

[/hide]
This was an event after Hysear died. The beginning of my relationship with the Bonecollectors. They did a really cool ritual and brought him back as a monstrosity to wreck havoc, and I was given control of it. Everything the stillborn monster did, it was under my direction. Props to Skaghunter for running this event, and a big thanks for the players of Yict, Azeblebaal(Sorry sp), Agares Weyer, and more. This was really fun, and I enjoyed every moment of it.

Not too long after these events, Visangiri was defeated after his own botched attempt of an ambush, and was given a chance to duel for his freedom against Glitt retainer, Tristam Veers. It was a long, bloody battle, with Inquisitor Malik Adayla of House Moonspear presiding over it, and Visangiri's eventual murderer, Ruby-Captain Vsaja Sumari, enjoying his knave's duel. But in the end, a foolish step saw me dispelled, and beaten into the dirt, defeated. In a moment of true honor for his opponent, Tristam spared Visangiri, a debt he would never get to repay. To the player of Tristam Veers; thank you for sparing me. It was a great fight, and I'm glad you enjoyed it too.

After he was unmasked, and his plots revealed, the start of his relationship with Lissandra Fier really began. Visangiri had been working to slowly infiltrate House Moonspear for weeks, and unveiled to House Moonspear, it all came apart. But she persisted in questioning why Visangiri would do such things. Why he would work for the Count. Why he must serve. There was constant back and forth, days and days of us chatting, her questioning my cruelty, and trying to make him a better man. Something Visangiri would never accomplish.

Not too long ago, the Reeve struck against the Count. He captured one of his rubies, Saraid Caermyn, and killed the man in a cruel way, skinning him alive, and leaving his bones to rot within the commons. Visangiri retrieved these bones, and presented it to his Count. The Lottery... The Lottery was called.
[hide]

[/hide]

Visangiri did the one thing no one else could. He broke a woman of the Renounciation. Made her break her vows of renouncing emotions. Made her cry, weep, and plead, so she may take on the burden of sacrificing herself to the Count, and spare others the suffering of the Lottery. A plot that would eventually cost Visangiri, and his blooming love. Instead of her, the Count chose his beloved, Lissandra, and made Visangiri kill her in a show of loyalty. This is where his defiance begins. To the player of Vivian, thank you for the show. I was actually a little bit torn up about it OOCly, as I drove your PC to tears. It's not an easy burden, to portray those kinds of emotions, but you did well, and I enjoyed your performance. Thank you.

[hide]

[/hide]

Knowing the power of the Bonecollectors, and their master now returned to flesh, Visangiri did something any desperate man would do. He brought her corpse, still warm, to the Bonecollectors, and prayed to see her returned to live. The cost was high. It actually ripped a piece of Visagiri's soul out of him, weakening him permanently, and transfering it to his wife, Lissandra Bataev, now wedded, in life, and in death.  Thank you again to the players of Yict, Agares, and all of House Montegelas. It was a real treat playing with you, although briefly.

With his wife returned, Visangiri often questioned his loyalty. What is a man that goes against his Count? Is he still loyal? Does he seek to betray him? These questions, I asked myself all the time. What did I really want as a player from this point on? Really, I wanted to enjoy the ride. After his wife's return, Visangiri was really dismissive about what the Count wanted. Who wouldn't be? He did make him kill his wife, and Visangiri knew that he would never rekindle the spark of life and laughter his wife used to have. He was.. broken, at this point.

So he does something desperate.
[hide]

[/hide]

In a final act of rebellion, he chanced upon a small little hope. He thought he would bring joy to his wife, if he saw a baby unpetrified, and given to her. Together, they went to the Bazaar, and together, they unleashed it. What they got, however, was a wish from a trapped djinn. Unable to contain it, and a chance gifted, he wished for his wife to be human again. Unable to contain it, he announced his disloyalty, like a fool, to the whole city.

Like a fool, he went to the Ward, and suffered for his consequences. He would not remember the joys of his ilfe, in his final moments. He was mindbroken by the Grand Vizier for his actions, and he slaughtered his wife, then himself, as commanded by his master.

Love never wins... But it doesn't hurt to try.  To the player of Lissandra Bataev, thank you. You really changed the course of my PC, and made a much more fulfilling story than I probably could have done on my own. Sorry you were stuck so long in the Bonecollectors, only to be killed the day of your ressurection. But, that's the way it goes. I hope you enjoyed this as much as I did, and maybe we'll try it again in the future.

Some final random images. Maybe some loot.

[hide]

[/hide]

Random_White_Guy

Blake's chance encounter within the Moonspear Haft the day he was severing all ties with them and you showing up at the same time, and the direct opposite paths we took towards working for the Count was such a fun moment of "Game recognize game" which was just stellar.

As always super fun scheming around with you playing politics, and i'm real glad we rolled on the same team when I popped to Akesh and after everything got to do our two last little hurrahs of the meeting with Glitt, then the quiet chat about cocoa and sacrifice while everyone was talking to the Royal Archivist.

The most fun villains are the ones who don't think they're villains, and you hit it to a T.
[11:23 PM] Howlando: Feel free LealWG
[11:23 PM] Howlando: I'll give you a high five + fist bump tip

[1:34 AM] BigOrcMan: RwG, a moment on the lips, forever on the hips

Cat

I don't regret a single choice I ever made along the way with you.

Les Abysses

Great PC! I enjoyed the Herald in all his incarnations, even that time he was Meredy:

Scitus

10/10  would spare again, an excellent rival and antagonist to my character, I'm glad you liked it  ^^

Bearic