Allow Rod Crafting

Started by SunrypeSlim, January 08, 2022, 02:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SunrypeSlim

Crafting Rods, useable by any class, would allow non-casters access to the wide range of utility spells that make adventuring more exciting.

Anyone who crafts Wands could craft Rods as well by simply buying a blank one anywhere wands are sold.

The cost would drop by half relative to wands, but the charges would drop from 25 to 10.
PM me for an apology! :3

Diabl0658

This seems radically broken. Imagine barbarians with dispel rods.

Disorder

I agree with previous statement, while this suggestion seems to be nice on a surface, the reality where it would be implemented is going to break balance.

SunrypeSlim

I don't see Barbarians with dispel rods as a bad thing any more than Divine Power rods in the hands of mages.

I'd respectfully argue that the complete inability of non-caster classes to access certain spells like Dispel creates an artificial difficulty that favours caster PCs.

The means to subvert this, as they exist already IG, are not equally accessible to all players based on skill level, activity, and game knowledge.

I do believe that there's precedent in pen and paper D&D, as well as items dropped in EfU, to put arcane/divine spells in the hands of non-casters.

The balance of EfU is a bone, already broken, that has set in an uncomfortable way. It needs to be rebroken in order to achieve a healthier and more comfortable outcome for the whole body.

The simplest, most ethical way to do that is to put more power in the hands of players and then dial it back to a reasonable level. If that leads to barbarian dispellism then so be it.
PM me for an apology! :3

Arslefjun