Nazey's PC retrospective (2019 - 2023)

Started by Nazey, January 21, 2023, 06:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nazey

I haven't posted an obituary in a while - a couple of these PCs I couldn't actually dig up screenshots for as I seemed to have lost them.   As the City of Rings seems to be approaching some sort of a climax, I thought this was a nice opportunity to reflect on past stories and experiences, the good and the bad of them.

[hide=Valmaxian Ilrae (2019)]

Bio: Valmaxian was an awoken defender of Myth Drannor.  He fell into the hustle and life of Ticker Square soon after awakening in the city, but was distraught by his lack of connection to the People and the silence of the Seldarine.  He was a hopeless romantic and idealist - generally aloof, impulsive and unwise.  He was one of the founding members of the Ordo Arcanum, along with Aethelwine and several others.  He was taken on by Beodda of the Blooded Shields, and become one of his closest companions in those early days.  Eventually, after the death of many friends and his failure to remain optimistic, he began to lose the will to live - he felt his grip on immortal life waning quickly, as Faerunian elves tend to pass when they've lost their will.  He died in the quiet mountains of ring 94.

Reflection: This was my very first PC on EFU!  I really had no idea what I was doing - but a spellsword archer was quite fun to play in the backline.  I'm very thankful for Garem (Beodda) for really guiding me through those first couple of months of EFU, I think I partly owe it to him that I decided to stick it out on the server.  His "death" was really more of a retirement, as I didn't really get the culture of playing a character out on EFU and I was eager to try other concepts.  He did last quite a while.  I'll always cherish the first time I was robbed on EFU; wearing the royal puzzler outfit and getting beat down and stripped of it by Errilam.  Classic.

[hide=Screenshots:]

[/hide][/hide]

Genovalio de Rossa (2019)

[hide=Voryn Zadeshi (2020)]

Bio: Voryn grew up in the streets of Ticker as an impoverished gutter rat and orphan.  He learned to get by with his wits and guile, and soon began aspirations of not only becoming a masterthief - but becoming a patron of them.  His ambitions were as high as becoming the Grandfather.  He was inducted into the Knaves, and began working politics in Ticker along with Ferl Dickson's fraudulent mayoral campaign - with the aim of squeezing himself into a position of power for the Knaves.  He became an associate of high profile figures such as Vlasi and Danebluff.

Reflection: Voryn was my first PC after Genovalio - I really wanted to play something different after a Lawful Good man for so long, but the whiplash hit me hard.  I was having some trouble IRL at the time, and was quite in an anxious state - on top of not generally being a belligerent player or someone who is very good at instigating fights.  Suddenly I found myself with the expectation of trying to gank players - even tasked with assassinating  Ordyn Ravenshylde.  I remember stalking him, fully buffed, on the cusp of just "going for it" - with several DMs watching, but I just lost my nerve and didn't go for it.   I retired the PC soon after, I do regret it - but I just couldn't push through the nerves OOCly at the time.  Oh well!

[hide=Screenshots: ]

[/hide]

[/hide]

Bayezad Hatun (2020)

[hide=Ethok Blackpaw (Late 2020)]

Bio: Ethok was an awoken druid of Silvanus from the woods of Silverymoon.  He refused the "bronze ear of man" and never acquired one.  He saw the Great Willow as sacrosanct, and much like the Grandfather tree of the High Forest - he revered it as "Arakhora", and quickly adopted a militant outlook against the anti-nature traditions of the Peerage.  He became a loyal follower of Holt "Gorrick" Gitt - the wereboar.  After Gorrick's death, and Ethok being spared - he joined with the Children of Wrath, losing himself to aggression and predation.  He died in the battle of Ticker Square and Tchrammor's flight.

Reflection: Ethok was my first and only druid that I've played in CoR.  It was a joy to discover all of the unique systems on offer, as well as the interesting bits of lore surrounding areas I'd already explored on other characters.  I decided to be quite belligerent with him from the get-go, in response to my previous failure with Voryn.  I had a lot of fun, and I particularly thank the player of Gorrick for having me along as a henchman.  I primarily played him as a bear form shifter.

[/hide][/hide]

Arkavin Vaul (Late 2020-2021)

[hide=Eumir Adolcri (2021)]

Bio: A warlock from the far outer rings, the last remnant of an infernal cult long ago destroyed by a knightly order.  After many years in hiding, he arrives in 99, yearning to try again at his youthful ambitions - but also attempting desperately to be free of his failing and aged body.  He joins House Zheng, thinking he can leverage their alchemical expertise for his needs.  His early days were spent politicking, trying to keep the minor house afloat among antagonization from Glitt and Kwhajar - all the while balancing his debt to the Scrag Lads and in particular, Yictanaghz Reynnri.   He plans to steal Lady Zheng Li's body for his own, but is discovered by the Lady herself conducting his dealings in the Bonecollector's lair.  Instead, he is forced to fuse his body with a Sibilant artifact, turning him into a yuan-ti pureblood and successfully escaping his frail body.  He later dies in the Frozen Tear, in the assault on T'Chun.

Reflection:  Another one of my regrets!  I was ecstatic about this PC's flavor and aesthetic, and the relationships he had formed - I felt he was a cool villain in the brewing, but unfortunately, I just couldn't find a way to make a conjurer fun for me mechanically.  I found it extremely clunky, and not really my bag - after my yuan-ti pureblood conversion, I applied to also be changed into a snake charmer (I was a cultist).  I thought it would be quite thematic, and it was, but my goodness do the snake summons really really suck.  After a few frustrating deaths, and a final death during a non-perma section of the T'Chun event, I decided to just retire him and move on as I was not enjoying the character anymore.  I wish I had stuck it out, in retrospect, and I apologize to Lannister for squandering the great roleplay and build-up we had.  That's how it goes sometimes!

[hide=Screenshots: N/A, I've lost them!][/hide]
[/hide]

[hide=Pykerallerin Lyasee (Late 2021)]

Bio: Pyke was an awoken elf - formerly a bladesinger, championing the elven people and their ideals.  He has long been in the City of Rings, and much of his former mirth and memory had faded.  He had lost himself for a long time, becoming a scrappy self-sufficient survivor, but began becoming revitalized after meeting Gilthalas Wealdath and beginning to remember the ideals for which he stood for.  The hope that a home could be created for his people - and in fact could even already exist - sprang new life into him.  He championed the house of Wealdath as best as he could - and became involved in both political aspects of 99, pushing for the legitimacy of Gilthalas's nobility - while simultaneously pushing deeper into the rings and attempting to rally other elves to do the same and reach the Mistlevale.  He didn't shy from a fight - and in the end that cost him his life during the attack on the Sunpurse manor in the Ponds, dying alongside his sworn liege.

Reflection: Pyke was my favorite PC that I've played on EFU thus far.  He was not my most accomplished, but he just struck an excellent combination of all my sweet spots when it comes to roleplay and characterization.  He was capricious and flamboyant enough to offer moments of fun and levity, but also severe when the time called for it - with concrete goals and ideals for which he would not compromise.  It was a great relief - I was actually in the hospital for an entire month while playing this PC, recovering from a pretty severe and life-changing surgery.  I had a lot of time to play EFU, and the stories I was able to experience on Pyke helped me a lot through that time.  I'm forever thankful to be in a community that can give me that.

It was my first time building a classic Rogue/Fighter, and man did I enjoy it.  I can see why it's a popular multi-class.  It gave me all the tools I needed to feel like a martially capable warrior, equally capable of being a trickster.  I was losing steam on him in the end, as my ringrunning efforts were chugging, and the faction I had found myself in - while very fun - was also very passive at times.  I think I would have picked it up again if I had survived the big perma event - alas, it was not to be!

[/hide]

[/hide]

[hide=Jawick Aschenfreude (Late 2022-2023)]

Bio: Jawick was an awoken Zhentarim soldier - a straight-laced and disciplined man, beaten with the pragmatic ideals of Bane from an early age.  He awoke to the City of Rings and concluded it was the result of a failure of leadership.  The King was unworthy of his position and had to be removed.  After surviving Yucky Lucky's harrowing gambles, he began his attempt deeper into the rings as a part of the Wayfarers.  The group was shattered after a Bonecollector ambush in 99 killed a couple of core members.  He remained listless for a time, before signing on with the Count's forces - seeing the tyrant as a worthy conqueror and the iron fist that the city needed to survive.  He was a man most comforted by having a purpose and fulfilling it - he was a soldier, a tool of war, and was not at ease until he found his natural lot in life again.  He died in the Siege of Stormharbor as part of the Count's vanguard.

Reflection: Jawick was quite fun - if a rather archetypical and straight-forward character.  I was really hoping to get past 64 on this character, but alas, EFU is merciless to your whims and plans.  I decided to stick him out to see if I couldn't find a narrative conclusion for him, and I don't regret that I did - even if I didn't last very long in the battle.  His stats were jumbled by the Yucky Lucky arena, but luckily, I had started with 14 dex and took all of the feats I needed very early on so I was able to continue functioning quite well!  I also looked fly as hell.  Aesthetic is so key.

[/hide]

[/hide]

Other PCs:

These characters didn't last very long, for one reason or another, but I still enjoyed enough to feel they are worth a mention.

• Zauko (2019) - A Chultan barbarian, companion to rebels in the Ponds and Saint Outis.  He died in an arena.
  • Thalian Soldane (2021) - A melee Zealous Faith sorcerer and ringrunner, a member of the Heartseekers.  A devout follower of El, who believed himself a direct scion of the God and aimed to prove it by climbing to the highest peak in the rings - the King's Keep.  He died in ring 64.
  • Razidel Winterwise (Late 2021) - An initiate of Moonspear from the far outer rings.  He travelled to ring 99 to find an answer to the calamity of the Nothing that ravages his home rings, and to try and learn the fate of his father - a knight of Prince Trystan.  He died during the assault on the Pallid Prince.  (Stabbed by the Prince himself)
  • Rorim Kaneen (2022) - A small game trapper and hunter from the Steadings.  He signed on with Moonspear, feeling a sense of duty during tumultuous times.  He died trying to defend Gwyddian d'Elmar, whom he looked up to, from being executed by Recondites.

Thanks for being great, EFU - my memory is way too bad to mention people to thank on each PC, but I hope to create many more stories with you in the future.

KaedweniKnight

very talented roleplayer nazey, I always look forward catching you in a faction or group always fun bro