New Content

Started by Howlando, February 18, 2014, 12:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howlando

I've added a lot of new content to the module recently.

This includes:

1) An optional, more challenging "hardcore" prologue start portal. This prologue is much more challenging but will result in characters starting in Sanctuary at a somewhat higher XP level (the main difference being that you won't need to run around and do very many delivery quests).

Characters that choose this portal will never be able to respawn directly to the Mausoleum/Safe Spot, but will only be able to be respawn to their corpse. Additionally, it is somewhat against the spirit of the prologue to "respawn your way through" so if you die, you may wish to consider making a new character... certainly, do not expect DMs to be very helpful with clearing your corpse for prologue deaths.

There are various ways to solve this Prologue (some of which may actually be very easy!). It is fully encouraged for players team up together to pass through it.

Suggestions about improvements for the Prologue are welcome.

2) Several quests have been adjusted and tweaked and the old pretty bland 'Dunwarren Salvage Pit' quest has been completely remade (and even has a small fun flavor-bonus for the first character/party to attempt the quest per reset)

There will be more to come, and as always suggestions for where my toolset energies would be best oriented towards are welcome.

Siren

Don't know what to say besides thank you. I'm very grateful for the continued updates on the module and everything the DM team does to make the players' experience fun.

If it serves as encouragement, I can definitly say that this chapter's grown on me quite a bit and that I've come to love it even more than Mistlocke, which was already ridiculously amazing in its own right.

I commend the proactive playerbase aswell, who truly brings the rich world that the DMs have crafted to life. Some of the characters we have around are the hard-work of very talented roleplayers, so thank you to everyone really, for making this place fun.

As for suggestions regarding future updates, it's hard to say what I'd like to see more of. Perhaps adding polish to already existing areas, rather than implementing new ones. There's so many things that I haven't seen yet, so it's definitly not my place to ask for more.

But yes, as sort of quick suggestions for how I think the game world could be enhanced... I suppose more placeables in the areas to make them easier to distinguish from each other, although this could be detrimental because it'd make it harder for players to feel lost (a good feeling), the Underdark's meant to be a desolate, "empty" place. Perhaps more flora that you could interact with, the ambient sounds are already very good as it is, I'm on edge everytime I leave Sanctuary by myself. That feeling of impending doom and loneliness makes me feel like I'm playing a horror game (which I'm a fan of!).

The only suggestion that I actually feel secure about giving is a little makeover of Upper Sanctuary. I feel there's too many bridges and very few places to inhabit, I'd like dwindling streets and chaos, more in the spirit of Lower. My vision for how Sanctuary would look like is slightly different from what it looks like in-game, but perhaps that's a subject for debate and I'll just bring it up in another thread, I feel the subsequent posts here should be more about thanking the team for their updates, rather than debating what else they could do for us. =P

WeAllGonnaDie

I'd like to give my input on the new prelude:

Atmosphere:  Awesome.  Very cool.

The scavengable clickies do not seem to reset between users?  Each one I tried to use said it was already searched.

I spoke to the mage NPC and persuaded him to give me a key.  After doing that, I still had the option to talk to him and take the quest to get the key.  There was no XP for that, which is fine.  I basically ran for sweet life after.  The +8 AB on the... enemies scattered over the last area makes fighting them as a level two a non option.

There seemed to be a LOT of mindless drones in the city, like, lots.  I think I saw 20 or more when I went?  I don't deny that the place is dangerous but once two saw me and fighting two +4 AB enemies with 20ish HP at level 2 is not an option for a non melee alone.  I had to run for it and basically ran for my life the rest of the way.

I did not get any XP or loot of any sort.  This is not a complaint, it looks very cool, that is fine, but if it was intended that people end up at the end of it with more XP and not needing to run some of the starter quests, that was not my experience.

Howlando

The bugs should be fixed now, and as far as I'm aware everything is working correctly as of v405.

The bonus varies somewhat depending on how the Prologue is solved, but if nothing else there's around 1k XP of exploration XP for one of the areas which should make it so you don't need to do very many delivery quests in Sanctuary.

Knight Of Pentacles

That prelude is... epic.

Kinslayer988

Can't wait to do this!
<SkillFocuspwn> no property developers among men only brothers

djspectre

Thanks for the updated stuff, Howland!

johanmaxon

A great addition, thanks!

TroublesomeTree

That new intro is no joke! The character I made to try it out did not survive. RIP in Pease, dudeguy.

Howlando

Just wanted to mention here that as of v413 there's a fair bit more content.

- 2 new quests (one needs to be tested)
- Super Secret additions scattered in hidden places...
- Hardcore Prologue starts now results in not being able to respawn until level 4 (this is to prevent PCs from respawning on the prologue itself)

Howlando

As of v418:

- Two old quests from previous chapters re-purposed for EFU:R
- The "Clowns" quest was edited/partially remade
- More loot variety

=)

Twilight's Gift

Awesome as ever, Howland! Loving the new content, though I've probably only seen a quarter of it so far. Can't wait to experience the rest, you did a great job!

Frostbite

Thanks for the new content and hard work.

BlowTheManDown

Howlando

Several new areas, including a new section of Sanctuary that is predominantly for NPCs.