Author Topic: Shards Online  (Read 1530 times)

Vlaid

• Dungeon Master
    • View Profile
on: January 07, 2015, 11:34:45 AM
Way early in it's development, but I thought I would bring this to the attention of EFU. This was brought to my attention in #EFU and at first I blew it off but after looking over the site, then looking over the youtube videos and some pre-alpha footage it has warmed the smallest twinge of hope.

It looks like at least a passable game that could recreate all or most of the key features of NWN1/NWN2 style PW server storytelling.

It seems like it hits a lot of the key features needed to have  an updated modern platform for running ambitious RP worlds on. Something  to keep an eye on for the future.

Cautiously optimistic.

• Something similar to DM client: NPC posession, teleportation, spawn items, become invisible, create/spawn items etc.
  • Fully Customizable/Hosted Servers: You can host, mod and create fully custom content for your own server. Appears to have a toolset and everything you would expect to have or want in NWN1 when making a server. Maybe even more control to a level more like WC3 or SC2 where you can make completely different games out of the engine.
Youtube Channel for Developers
Shards Online Site

manyscruples

• View Profile
on: January 07, 2015, 09:06:29 PM
Might not be a replacement but it looks like it might be good fun irregardless.

Rocinante

• View Profile
on: October 08, 2018, 10:16:08 AM
Hello EFUers, been awhile but I thought I would give you all an update since I've been one of the early backers since the beginning. Its been four years but Legends of Aria (formerly known as Shards Online) has been greenlit for STEAM and will be released for early access December 4th of this year (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=694714097) Though modding tools will be made available to everyone when the game is considered finished the developer team is taking applications for new server admins which will grant those accepted access to all the current tools which are finally beginning to include custom assets such as maps (meaning you can finally build your own world instead of relying on the base map.) Further good news is that a team has been in the works of writing a 5th edition D&D ruleset and intend to release it to the community when they have a working product. If you're interested in helping out shoot me a PM here and I'll give their email if you have knowledge in C# or any of the main programmer languages than I am told LUA should be quite easy to pick up.   
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 10:23:46 AM by Rocinante »

bobofwestoregonusa

• View Profile
on: November 05, 2018, 01:51:28 PM
I briefly played this game and it controlled like resident evil. I mean the old ones. Like in the worst way possible. Is this still a thing?

Rocinante

• View Profile
on: December 28, 2018, 09:34:22 AM
On the subject of controls:
I have learned that the team who is responsible for creating the 5th edition ruleset has confirmed the possibility to mod the control scheme to give a similar feel to NWN though not an exact replica. Also here is a very early preview of the custom GUI being designed for the 5th edition ruleset. Merry Christmas EFU

bobofwestoregonusa

• View Profile
on: January 23, 2019, 07:13:30 AM
Does it still have tank controls worse than resident evil 2 or those old might and magic games? Because if it does that's a hard pass.

Rocinante

• View Profile
on: January 23, 2019, 02:18:01 PM
I had no trouble with the controls myself, if you purchased a copy of the game you can download the newest client for yourself and see.  The 5th edition ruleset will further modify the controls so it handles similarly to NWN.

bobofwestoregonusa

• View Profile
on: January 29, 2019, 04:57:58 PM
I have to be honest, I probably won't ever pick up shards. I'm not impressed with games having pre alpha releases of projects they haven't even started then using Kickstarter to fund the product even though it will take nearly half a  decade to finish. Shards is bad and their business practices are bad. If you kickstart your product should be FINISHED by the time you release it, not going to early access under a rebranding. I saw Shards at the start of its kickstarter YEARS ago and they were promising us a game to be released in 2016. I don't support the business practice of taking people's money YEARS in advance for a product that wouldn't even qualify as a proof of concept model to investors and saying you're going to make a full game out of it. Not to mention the subsequent backing they've been accepting four years later. Maybe this game will leave early access after its first decade and probably go the way of a lot of other early access projects.

As an example of their shady business practices: Did you know back in pre pre pre pre pre alpha before they even rebranded you could pay an entire 40 USD to play their completely unfinished tech demo? It was terrible, didn't work, and unfun and they charged retail price for it right out of kickstarter.