New policy discussion thread

Started by lovethesuit, August 18, 2010, 08:24:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lovethesuit

This is a discussion thread for the new policy that Johannes just announced: http://www.escapefromunderdark.com/forums/showthread.php?p=195441#post195441

I, for one, have mixed feelings on the subject, but on the whole I support it. For one, yes the trolling gets pretty heavy, and often there has been this drive to one-up each other to the point where some pretty mean things get said for laughs. And for the most part, 4chan is the irredeemable scum of the internet. So in that regard certainly I'm glad there is awareness of the issue and a push to do something about it.

Now, with that being said, I would ask for a bit more detail about the ban on references and image macros. Based on the announcement, this thread is technically a reference and I should expect some harsh penalties. I guess my question is, what does and does not constitute a breach of that ban? If I use the word rickroll in a conversation, how long will you prevent me from playing an elf on your server?

Also, an open question to the players: how much does this 'upward trend of misconduct' bother you?

Kotenku

For what it's worth, #efugross still exists and we still tolerate faggotry, bullshit, and trolling for the people who enjoy it.

Keep your 4chan memes out of it, though, you're not funny.

Johannes

Discussion on the subject of the new policy will not be punished.

derfo

I find it rather funny that people (supposedly) pretend it's that big a deal. Talk about acting childish, to be so butthurt over text that you could just not look at!

I don't know what anything of it has to do with 4chan though. I also like how the randomly plugged channel is probably who I expect the most 4channish things to come out of.

Halfbrood

To me it makes very little sense to stomp of people who are likely mentally ill and need care and attention. Basically it would be better in my eyes to just let them wear themselves out, poop and go to sleep.

TheImpossibleDream

Quote from: derflaro;195451I find it rather funny that people (supposedly) pretend it's that big a deal. Talk about acting childish, to be so butthurt over text that you could just not look at!

I don't know what anything of it has to do with 4chan though. I also like how the randomly plugged channel is probably who I expect the most 4channish things to come out of.

Derf about summerized my oppinion on the matter. Inappropriete stuff was always prohibited, banning a meduim because "most" of the stuff that comes out of it is "supposedly" bad is silly.

derfo

Quote from: Halfbrood;195452To me it makes very little sense to stomp of people who are likely mentally ill and need care and attention. Basically it would be better in my eyes to just let them wear themselves out, poop and go to sleep.

This seems to be how it was done in times past and how such times worked absolutely fine. If anything, these strange new rules seem to only entice certain folks, 'young glory' for example.

Halfbrood

Especially in a community as close knit at this one, imposing iron fisted laws and threatening 'harsh punishments' only encourages, as derflaro said, the 'young glory' style poster, and in itself undermines it's own authority. We are all here for fun, after all.

TheImpossibleDream

Well I would not go as far as to say it was an Iron Fisted rule, just a bit over the top. I have not played actively in quite a while so I'm not sure what has really changed in the community to merit this ban.

Halfbrood

Quote from: TheImpossibleDream;195457Well I would not go as far as to say it was an Iron Fisted rule, just a bit over the top. I have not played actively in quite a while so I'm not sure what has really changed in the community to merit this ban.

I've been a little more active than yourself over the past month or so, having said that I can't say I've witnessed anything that could be considered terrible.

derfo

Yes, well while I can understand there is a line to draw on where certain jokes go, it is outrageous to have one wear a certain face just because some do not seem to like their current one.

I wonder if I would be friends with quite a few of the people I superbly enjoy the company of if they and I all acted the role of zerg drones, even if we would be oh so efficient at harvesting minerals.

It is sort of like some people are giraffes, and the horses are so jealous of their big ass necks, they demand that they shorten them down to size with the rest of them. It is just silly.

TheImpossibleDream

I don't know if I'm reading into your analogy correctly, but I think it would be a bit extreme to say that the ban was in place due to a level of jealousy. Though I do agree that it is in danger of making the humor of the community as monotone as a MULE.

Paha

Difference to that, Derf, it's easier to get shorter than grow taller. You can cut back on it, but it's far more harder to adjust into that style.

I myself am not used to the behaviour and style of trolling and overbearing jokes that tend to cross the line very often, and for me it's not something I get used to. All simply because it ain't part of my every day life. Yet I once in a while mention about it and I've stood it for years, but it doesn't mean those people should take it up on themselves when they are asked to cut back on it.

I don't think there might have been need to ban some source, but if it cuts it back, even by force, have at it.

derfo

As for the first part, no, not really. No one forces you to do one or  the other, nor does anyone desire to do such without  reason.

As to acceptance of behavior, on the internet,  something as easy as not looking at certain text you don't care about,  has to be some of the easiest I can think of, regardless of where or how  you live. Really if it is that inane and unacceptable it will go away by itself.

Not to mention, there are two sides to a line, and quite a few people  are on the other side who are unfortunately not around playing any more  because apparently hard for others to not take things too seriously and  ignore what they do not have to look at; regardless of how appropriate the opinion of one may consider it, and quite honestly just selfish.

TheImpossibleDream

I think derf raises a valid point. How many people just don't feel like they "fit" into the community anymore these days? Many little things become a big thing and drive away certain folk looking for a relaxed and mature attitude as well as some humor now and then.