How to report a bug

Started by Cruzel, January 20, 2009, 10:54:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cruzel

Fixing bugs is so much easier when a report is clear. I'm not even the one fixing them and it annoys me when I see <generic example of less than adequate bug report>. I'm sure Snoteye and ScottyB and their other cohorts will appreciate it, as it makes their work much easier and simpler.

When making a report, list as much relevant information as possible.

Use common sense to know what is relevant. For example, if it's a bug with a cleric being unable to cast spells, make sure you include the name of the PC, the diety, domains, which spells, and so forth.

For example;
Quote from: A proper bug report

My PC name is Steve Smash. I am playing a NG Cleric of Ilmater, with the Good and Healing domains. When I try to cast spells, they fail and I receive this message; "Your domains are inappropriate for your deity to cast divine spells." The spells I tried to cast were "Cure Serious Wounds" and "Magic Weapon". This started to happen after the last reset.

Provide also: Area name, Name of NPC's in question. Specifics and details in technical aspects that can help to find or locate things in the module with speed, thank you.

The key to making bugs quick and easy to track down is including as much information as possible about what PC it is happening for, what you were doing when it happened, and any information you were given when it happened. Combat window messages, conversation text with a NPC, whatever.

Details to pay attention to:

• Names of creatures (Be extremely specific)
  • Names of areas (Actual area name will help us to find it quickly and locate whatever is in that area)
  • If item is in question, what area, what quest, what explorable was it gained from. Specific details of location/container or creature it dropped from helps.

Snoteye

De-languagized, re-capitalized, and generalized. Any bug report is better than no bug report, always (because at least we'll be aware, and maybe somebody else knows more) -- but, frankly, occasionally they are simply useless. We absolutely do not expect you to write essays, nor do we really want to read that ourselves, and while we very much appreciate extensive testing on the player's part when it comes to determining the nature of a suspected bug that is also something we're here for (and usually in a better position for, too). However, if you even think we might want/need a particular piece of information, just include it straight away instead of waiting for us to ask for it, or tell us why you couldn't get it.

It's not that any particular incident inspired this/these post(s) (well, that's not true, or I wouldn't have edited Cruzel's post), it would just be very nice if you helped us that bit more.

ScottyB

I want to remind every to check your logs for messages before reporting a bug. We include those messages in systems so that we know what went wrong (and what system went wrong!) Maybe something didn't even go wrong, and you got a message explaining that you can't do something on EFUA.

I don't have a lot of time during the week I'm posting this, so that may mean I just ignore an insufficient bug report until I've settled into my next term's classes.

Caster13

When reporting a bug, please indicate the area name (preferably as it appears on the loading screen) where it occurs.

If reporting a bug related to an item(s), especially items related to quests or scripted objects, include the name of the area where it was found/acquired. I've found it's easier to identify and find bugs by searching via an "area -> item" method instead of just going by the name of an item alone. So giving us the area of where the item was found/obtained helps immensely.

Paha

Try to remember some of these tips and points, folks.

The easier you make for us to find a bug, area or NPC, or anything at all, the more likely we are to fix it. If people who are not familiar with something, or some part of the module, they may not have the information needed in their head and they will likely skip the bug, hoping that the original creator fixes it eventually, and you will have to wait that much longer with any issue you may have.

The more details you provide, the better.

Paha