Small tips for EFU noobs

Started by el groso, August 03, 2013, 07:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

el groso

Things that are not much of a big deal, but still very useful for any newcomer. These are things I wish someone had told me when I started playing EFU.

-"Dead" NPCs: When making efforts to Rping your character, we tend to react as our characters would when they see certain things. So, I've seen this happen over and over again. The PCs freaking out when they see a villager, or guard, or whichever other NPC corpse on the ground, probably killed by a cat who followed a PC, or for whatever other reason. I'm sure it would be fine to react as your PC would on such situation, except there is probably not even a corpse there, even though you're seeing one. Sometimes NPCs just get knocked out, or flee, or die and their corpses are ICly removed, etc. But DMs are not all the time available to raise, possess responsible NPCs for removing corpses of the streets or whatever. So, unless there's a placeable or bubble saying something like "A gruesome scene" or "Piled dead corpses lie here" or anything like that, 'dead' NPC corpses should be ignored.

- Scripted Quests: "Man, I'm sure I killed all those goblins in the granary yesterday, how come they are back?". "I know Skinnard's farm, I come here everyday, and these Silver Raven Mercs keep coming and dying! Let's split in two flanks so we don't suffer the same fate as they did"; I've been here before".... Etc. Scripted quests must simply be forgotten by your PC upon each reset, as if they had never been done before. It's the only way to avoid oddities and quest meta-gaming.

- DM Possessed? Some NPCs, hostile or not, will emote or say something. Although it's okay to react as your PC would normally, sometimes they're not really DM possessed, so NPCs saying things doesn't necessarily mean your quest is being spiced or DMs are specifically communicating with you.

- Skill/Ability checks/rolls: Dice rolls are strictly OOC, so, rolling your persuade check when trying to persuade a PC to do something will do no more than irritating your fellow player. They are to be used only when requested by DMs, so , although there's no rule against rolling them, one can't expect to manipulate other PCs reactions using social skill rolls or anything of the sort. Each PC will react the way their players deem right, so, trusting your fellow players RPing and staying true to your character (as in rping something intimidating when your character has high intimidate for instance) is the best choice. Unless, of course, DMs request a roll.