Theater on EfU

Started by Kiaring, September 06, 2020, 07:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiaring

Hello EfU!

I find myself swarmed daily by all sorts of crazy little ideas. Having the 'EfU fever' again, now older and wiser ( : D ) is wonderful.

One of the coolest little ideas I had, I would like to offer for discussion here, for anyone interested: If I were to play a new PC today (plz don't kill me EFU I like my current one) I would really like to work on a playwright kind of bard... This, has left me thinking:

We have had all sorts of intense and creative story-telling experiences in the previous four chapters of EfU. A wealth of player-created and DM-infused tragedies, comedies and everything in between, for us to prospect and turn into some amazing stage material, is right at our fingertips. So, this is somewhere between a suggestion, and just me tossing it out there for discussion:

What if players could, collectively, submit material (it would be a process similar to an application - in that it is DM-reviewed - but with the freedom the publications forum gives us to create and enrich the setting) that is based on interactions previous characters have had? I, for one, always try to think with positive nostalgia instead of frustrated sadness, when I think of the 'missed opportunities' of the past. That character you had in V1, that would jive so well with a DM plot from V3? When you died because of a few bad luck rolls on a perma event, and moved on from a darling concept you loved so much? Losing a character to fair and well-played PVP means that the conflict gets resolved, and the winners have the chance to keep telling the story, but it also means the road not taken, the story ended, for what was possibly (probably, judging from the fact that so many of us have been here for so long) a lovingly-crated and interesting character. All of this, made me think - what if:

-  Players work collectively on stories based on their interactions from previous chapters. The point is to keep things vague enough, no huge reveals of plot-sensitive stuff, work on respecting these concepts and characters and stories, which have, invariably, been laid to rest now that CoR is the new setting.
- Things need to be kept vague enough, that it would make sense for these stories, which existed in the context of the old settings, to exist in CoR. I think that is definitely possible, if these stories are treated as an in-universe fictional universe, or just 'auld legends', or if they are intentionally kept vague enough to obscure the setting-related details, while keeping their story-telling power.
- No stories from V5. No exceptions. V5 in-world storytelling continues to exist, and be treated in the same way it always has: It's super hard, for good reason, to become prominent enough that other PCs want to talk about the deeds of your long-dead PCs. V5 stories are always IC info, they impact the setting and play of the current story, and so this stays unchanged.
- The best ones could populate the module / forums... My dream would be to one day see characters of an IC play, based on characters from previous versions of EfU, come to life, played and interpreted by new players, their stories given a brief new life, but with different twists / flavors / meanings etc. It also gives us the chance to revive, in a different light, concepts that might not have come to their full potential.
- This is the best idea I've had, so far, for something I really feel a need for, which is a way to memorialize, but also give new meaning to these stories we crafted so lovingly, so caringly. They definitely live on my mind, my memory, and EfU has, from a psychological / spiritual standpoint made quite a difference in my life. You get from it what you put into it, so it's no surprise (to me, at least) that what I get from it, is mostly love. With a little rage-quitting here and there, but I'm not made of steel u guyz : )

So.... Thoughts? I'd welcome any discussion on this. I guess, at the very least, my path forward would be to test the waters, see if there's any interest / objections... Then, maybe pursue it ICly somehow. I would really like to see this become something of a collaborative effort on an OOC level, though - these stories were originally told collectively which is what interests me so deeply about them. They would of course have to be adapted to their new medium (forum posts, or IG storytelling / playwriting) and in that process would, of course, always fall to the final say of the DM team, in case anything is considered too at odds with the current setting / not appropriate.
Current PC: Acolyte Itziyal Neniarral

Random_White_Guy

If anything i'd say with the breadth of challenges, factions, and etc you could create a playwright who just invented character concepts around associations and turn them into a little sketch group or whatever if you had some performers IG interested.

Like - Recreating the Daring Swords, Grigori Orza's rise to power, the first feudings of the Merchant Rebellion, etc. There's a wealth of IC lore that can be capitalized upon by a few intrepid PCs and it's something that can be done without too much time or effort in the IC world but plenty of creative outlet.

A PC group of entertainers doing little troupes I've always been a huge fan of so if you focused less on the old PC angle and the more actual OOC/IC aspects of turning that into life. Two or three PCs OOCly coming up with little stories and theater type stuff, etc to be performed around at the different bars, would be a fun take.

Doesn't have to be purely bards either given the EFUSS Entertainment skill exists. Multiple PCs trying to OOC/IC create and tell more compelling stories, etc, is always good fun.

The nostalgia bit is kind of fun but I think it'd be better to really flesh out the current setting.
[11:23 PM] Howlando: Feel free LealWG
[11:23 PM] Howlando: I'll give you a high five + fist bump tip

[1:34 AM] BigOrcMan: RwG, a moment on the lips, forever on the hips

SunrypeSlim

You're echoing my own thoughts quite precisely as to the inevitable future of art on this platform. The time has come. Make Bards and find me IG.

Seriously though: writing contests have happened quite regularly throughout EfU history. If the next one just so happens to have a stageplay format restriction, that would be kickass.

Edit: Relevant but separate thread: https://www.efupw.com/forums/index.php?topic=699638.msg727264#msg727264
PM me for an apology! :3

Iconoclast

If the Praxian chronicles show up ig I might lose my shit.