The (ig)noble House Askell

Started by human egg, March 04, 2022, 05:20:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

human egg

House Askell
The leading idea that has always guided the Askell family revolves primarily around a good relationship between the master and the servant. Comradery and companionship are highly valued notions, and it is expected of the patriarch to foster them, and establish a firm bond with his underlings, so that from mere subordinates they may be turned into reliable companions, and his closest friends. In the past, they fancied themselves brave and noble gallants, who went on great quests and harried monsters and other enemies of humanity. In a sense, they saw themselves as something more akin to a brotherhood. On that token, many masters sought those unfortunate, rejected or orphaned, seeing that it was easy to earn the loyalty of people who had lost everything, or never had anything to begin with, by showing them good will. And those companions who served most zealously might even hope to marry one of their master's daughters– If he had any, that is. This was a common practice, in fact, that children were traded around in a web of marriages, binding all in familial ties. Depending on who was asked, they were either honorable benefactors and followers of a grand martial tradition, glorified menials with a far too high opinion of themselves, or plain old fools... and of course there were times that the answer was "who?"-- But the one thing that couldn't be disputed was their diligence in faith. Whatever they managed to plunder from the enemies of virtue(!!) went directly to the temple. Second sons and firstborn daughters were offered in tribute to be trained as priests of the Triune, or otherwise servants of the faith. And that's on top of monetary donations!

In all truth, they were never particularly acclaimed. Perhaps at their height, in their own circles, they held some sway and some modicum of respect– They almost certainly did, surely, at least to an extent. That's only likely. But that's neither here nor there. For all their supposed accolades, word of them failed to reach far, not to speak of leaving any kind of permanent mark on the history of the Ward. In the end, the Askell family was little but a gaggle, among myriad others of the same ilk: snobbish peers with a few stories, and a lofty dream. And from living in obscurity, they moved on to die in it as well.
They're a barely-alive vestige, no better off than commoners, rotting in an old, creaky house and clinging to a bunch of mostly worthless relics, which still recall some grand past that everyone else has forgotten. Whatever servants they used to have are almost all gone too, and the remaining few are there simply out of sheer loyalty, stupidity and friendship with the Master.

So, we've got a very noble corpse. What are they up to now? What are they doing, what's the main course, I hear you asking. The answer is: absolutely nothing!-- Well, that's not true. The Askell children are all grown up now, and it's time for them to break away from the gloom, hoist up the family carcass and carry it through another generation. There's a lot for them to unpack, and the Ward is quite turbulent. Where will they end up? I don't know!! Let's find out together!

I'm looking for people interested in starting new characters and taking on the roles of various family members (with some limitations set in place by yours truly).
Race: human only
Classes: Cleric, Ranger, Fighter, Rogue , Paladin, Bard
Alignment: Any (with some restrictions dependent on the role)
In all honesty, though, these are just my "general guidelines". I'm open to any and all ideas, and will happily talk to you about them!
If you're interested in participating, please hit me up in private. My Discord handle is: Lymantria dispar#9007
I highly encourage you to check out my Google doc detailing the lore of the Askell family. It contains all kinds of important information, as well as a list of available roles(it's at the bottom of the doc)! The link is available below-- I realize it's a hefty read, and apologize for that.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LcmTlezWC9TmLAi6x9tOBTfAwmJ5xk0sxONoqK7jg5o/edit

The credit for the lovely coat of arms goes to RPG. <3
Have a blessed day.
bingus