Xenophobia and EFU

Started by Random_White_Guy, May 27, 2014, 07:01:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Random_White_Guy

I've been approached with some concerns about situations that have occurred lately that have lead to some questionable blend of IG and OOC activities and some more than uncomfortable OOC feelings for some players of EFU. As I've been the driving force behind basis upon which these things have gone on I'll say right now:

OOC harassment, questionable content, and other misgivings are not cool. That's not my intention or anything I want to see or promoted around on EFU. So if it happened to you I fully apologize and would be glad to speak at length on the situation or anything I can do to help you get back into the flow of EFU proper. We're here to have fun and push stories and keep things interesting and fun.

That being said I'll get into the meat and potatoes of EFU Xenophobia and some tips and tricks that may make things more fun for everyone. I'll start by saying the Forgotten Realms is a setting rich with strife. Half-Orcs are often shunned in many societies but this expands into a wide-sweeping notion across many of the fictional countries. Many a Sembian PC in EFU has had rich hatred and rivalry with the Elven community. Conversely even I myself have played a freedom-fighting Eldreth Veluuthra Terrorist seeknig to take down Humanity for ancient grudges. There's the classic D&D/Fantasy trope of Elves and Dwarves being similar but different and often butting heads despite their often common foes.

This tension between elves and dwarves, the struggle of elves against humanity, the conflict in which a Half Orc adventurer must face persecution amongst a skeptical Human farming village often raided by orcs, and similar situations allows for a wide and often times fun variety of flavorful conflcit that in many aspects is often overlooked by PCs. It's easy for everyone to say "HEY THAT BANITE IS TERRORIZING A NEARBY COMMUNITY. COME ADVENTURERS AND LET'S GET HIM!". What happens though when those people terrorizing the settlement are Elves who have watched their lands stolen by humans claiming "Divine providence"? Those elves who have had their sacred groves burned by human interference and the mad grab for land and resources? Those elves who have loved ones, siblings, children, and more pierced with human steel?

Quote from: HEROWell then you get into a grey area in which villain becomes hero, hero becomes villain, and conflict is elevated to a degree in which "GOOD GUYS" and "BAD GUYS" becomes a more dynamic and conflicting undertaking where the "Right path" for your PC to take becomes a blurred one. Do the Elves do the right thing in fighting back against human oppression? Does your PC try to play the pacifist and bring both parties to a stop? Do you go to the local nearby Helmite temple and pray that the paladins within will take to the field and do what they can to stop the controversial battle that spills blood on all ends?

Quote from: VILLAINOr do you take the other path and throw caution into the wind as a Maskarran Thief who raids Human caravans and leaves the scene littered with elven arrows to get the humans to  blame the terrorists for your own selfish actions? Are you a Thayan Enclave resident who sees a war going on and thinks the perfect time to sell magical baubles to both ends seeking to win the war for your own political gain as they seek to court you for power? Are you a Cyricist cultist who has been lurking in the shadows of the elven village posing as a half-elf, who can now leave a human sword in each of your murder victims to further stoke the flames of strife?

In this hypothetical situation there's countless ways for a number of parties to get involved and push their own agenda against the greater backdrop of a simple notion of a war between a party of humans and a party of elves. It's the kind of time where heroes stand up against oppressors, villains get their names made, and on the whole things are pushed forward that leads to all manner of intrigue, strife, conflict, and everything that makes EFU great.

A problem occurs though when either through getting caught up in the moment on an IC or OOC level things start to go too far.  We're all from different lives and different experiences. Sometimes what one PC thinks is totally casual can be something that another PC finds highly out of place, offensive, or unacceptable in a fun and gaming community.
[11:23 PM] Howlando: Feel free LealWG
[11:23 PM] Howlando: I'll give you a high five + fist bump tip

[1:34 AM] BigOrcMan: RwG, a moment on the lips, forever on the hips

Random_White_Guy

I hope the above scenario sheds some light on ways to push things forward within acceptable bounds but to close I'll make a little list of Do's and Don'ts for people being aggressors or victims of Xenophobia.

Aggressors

• Do try to remember this is meant to be fun. For everyone. Don't take an action just because you think it'd be funny for you and your buddies.
  • Try to think of cool and creative ways to push things forward. Harping on the same lame joke for 10 minutes doesn't get anyone anywhere
  • Don't be a bully. Anyone can play a brutish thug who just beats on people and takes their stuff. Find a clever way to make people think about their situation and find a way to evade or strengthen their own position against you.
  • Use what's at our disposal: The forums are a treasure trove of examples of various ways in which people can push an agenda. You can sell goods and offer discounts, or jack up the prices for certain races. You can post sermons you've given IC and religious banter, you can produce literature on why Gnomes are terrible illusionists, you can promote your own agenda.
  • Know when to stop. Sometimes it's easy to get caught up in the fun but in EFU there's a lot of players. Don't get hung up on one individual target or pursuing any one person for an extended period of time.
  • Keep it classy. EFU is a wide variety of ages so don't get too graphic with taunting, harassment, suggestions, or otherwise.
  • Don't overdo it. No one is racist 24 hours a day, to everyone, at all times, under every situation.
The last thing I'd say is if you're going to play a xenophobic races find some traits about other character races that set your PC off and some that you ignore. Write in your character notes or your personal journal about that one time that elf did that one thing that you CANT STAND. But also remember you can think there are some things that don't suck about elves, even have some elves you're on mutual terms of respect with if they aren't the type who do that -one thing-. Or maybe you do just hate everyone, but if you do consider it like any other aspect of EFU and try to do it with class, grace, and decorum. Even an 8 wis, 8 charisma thug can be properly RP'd to the point where it isn't unfun for everyone.

Paha

I do endorse this and this has come up recently. This thread here is not for discussion, it is for general reminder and noted advices on how to use it in decent surrounding, and not smash it on anyones face to make them feel really bothered about it.

To some small spice sprinkled on character behavior in rare occasion, it is amazing tool to be really creepy. Gives that hateful air to a specific character. But that's where it should end. If anyone obviously rejects this, you need to have courtesy to address it with the player in good manner, or have the mind to ease up. This is not a contest of who will feel most horrible in the aftermath. You don't need to win that fight.

Any notion to specific sexes or side of sexual abusal is not wanted in efu. It is a very, very dangerous area to tread upon and should be used with care.

Random_White_Guy

On the flip side of any scenario though are PCs who find themselves subjected to this sort of treatment. I know for a fact that a lot of PCs avoid Half-Orcs because it is a harder trek. All races though have their ties and flaws and foes so sometimes you're bound to find yourself the Victim.

Victoms of Xenophobia
  • Don't be afraid to fire back. Humans or Elves or whatever race is coming your way you can just as easily shoot back at with similar rebukes. Tell that Human that you'll laugh at his funeral when your pointy ears won't even have grey hairs.
  • Don't be afraid to walk away. EFU's big and just like in PvP you can escape a situation if you've an invisibility potion, a retreat potion, or otherwise. I know things get blurry if OOC gets involved but if you're uncomfortable you can always ask for a DM
  • Don't be afraid to throw punches. If you've a DM for one reason you can just as easily get a DM for another. You'd be surprised how many Watchers will shrug if you punch a xenophobe in the face. I am not saying all will, but there's always laws and similar in place.
  • Try to take it as any other encounter. If you have a villain hunting you what do you do? You can fight back, you can flee, you can go to the watchers, you can go to other allies, you can try to make an example of your assailant.
  • Find clever ways to turn the tables: Someone giving you a hard time? Stage a public protest with your halfling buddies telling everyone why those Elves who roughed you up are actually demonic worshipers. Get your priests spreading the WRATHFUL FURY in sermons against those who would dare oppose your presence. Not everything has to turn into a PvP slugfest in EFU. Just stay in character and react as you wish.
  • Don't be afraid to go OOC. We're all players here and we understand that in any situation lines can be croessed. If something happens don't be afraid to ask someone to lay off. Majority of the time people will. If they refuse or don't relent don't be afraid to ask a DM. If things get too much feel free to log and tell a DM about it.
EFU is all about fun. I am not making this to be a public discussion thread but more a few tips and tricks as an ex-DM how these situations can be kept tasteful, fun, and trouble avoided.

When in doubt don't hesitate to ask a DM about a scenario or situation on EITHER END OF THE SPECTRUM. If you get a great idea to harass some halflings ask a DM if it's okay to do it. Or if you want to do something against people who are tormenting you do the same. More often than not DMs anre PCs alike are glad to help facilitate these things and keep them fun, tasteful, and on track for everyone's enjoyment.

Thanks for reading and happy mob + pitchforking.